stand-on's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajordan193, Jun 3, 2006.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Those of you will great dane or wright standers have a few questions for you. First off what makes these mowers so great compared to my scag tiger cub? Also why do i always have to bag and others with these type of mowers hardly do at all and leaves next to no clippings? Whats the difference between great dane and wright stander? Any common problems or things i should look for when buying a used one? Right now i'm looking to add another mower for my commercial accounts. My dealer has five 52inch great danes a few years old and looking to get rid of them for 2-3k. Anyone have any pics? Thanks for your time.

-Andrew

2. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

between a GD and Wright, i would go with Wright. I have only heard bad thing about the GD in comparison.

3. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

My john deere 647 cuts nice. I think it is an expensive gd with a jd 48" 7 iron floating deck. I didn't know that before I bought it last summer. But it still has about 14 months of warranty on it so I don't think I'll sell it anytime soon.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Wright Stander all the way. They are a way better design. I have nothing good to say about the Great Dane Super Surfers I've used for about a season. You wanted to know what makes them so great. Well, how about being more maneuverable and more efficient than your Scag and also being able to go more places with it because of the shorter frame and because your standing on the back, you can "try" more hills and tricky areas without fear of killing yourself. If I buy any more equipment, it will be a 52" Wright Stander.

5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Pro cut,
    Why do you bag?May be a double cut will work with the scag. If you are looking at the stand on units,I do not own one,do not plan on buying one but have looked at operators using them.The operator seems to very important in the operation of these machines.The skill level of the operator to work around hills and such looks to be little bit harder than a w/b but experince seems to be the key plus wanting to do it right.
    What brand? I would say the 52 Wright Stander just from the looks,just looks right,a good balance of weight and a nice stance, should do faily well on hills. Never used one,just looking at other companys that use them.

6. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Those clippings will go by by with your tiger if you raise your deck 1'' on your second cut when double cutting

7. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the replys. The reason i bag is because of the areas i mow. 99% of the companies around here bag all season. I've also heard that the blade speed of the great dane/wright are twice the speed of other mowers making clippings not a problem. Any thought about this? Still looking for more information on these. Mainly i'm looking at the great danes now due to my dealer having them and being able to service them. I'm not looking to get rid of my scag i love it to death just looking for another machine other than buying a walkbehind. Thanks

-Andrew

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

There is one LCO here in town, that has a gd and he can only do st. augustine with it. Says it wont cut bahia not even with 6 or 7 passes. He is very frustrated. For all you guys looking for the one mower in all package. DEMO, DEMO, DEMO, and listen and ask many questions before purchase.

9. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The Great Dane mowers suck. I have been there and done that. Do a search and you will find out about all the problems with the Dane mowers. We have now switched to the smaller frame z riders and they do a better job and there is a lot less fatigue at the end of the day!

As far as the blade tip speed..someone is feeding you a line of BS. The blade tip speed is no faster on a stand on than it is on a high quality rider. In fact, in some cases, it's slower on the stand ons.

If you do go with a stand on, I would recommend the Wright but, as I said, I think that the smaller riders are the better overall choice.

Stay away from Great Dane....FAR away!

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I see so many people here using ztrs and standers going probably half the speed of a wb and it confuses me... The main reason i would spend 5,10, some are 15k on these machines is to make more money and go alot faster...I guess the people have no experience on them and are scared to go fast and spent 5-10k so they are less tired at the end of the day

Its not the lawns because i see many lcos driving these standers at lunatic speeds and not ruining the lawns at all. i will be buying a wright stander soon im waiting on a used 32" but they are hard to find