1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stand or sit?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 20, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, im really, really buying a new mower. i currently have 6 walk behinds, time to upgrade. ive driven a great dane stand up mower, and ill be demo ing some z turn rider something or other. sitting on my butt may make me lazy, but i hear standing on one of those machines will destroy your hips and knees. any input? ive got about 7 grand for the purchase
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Destroy might be a little strong, but it doesn't do them a lot of good.
    But neither does sitting on one for the same extended periods of time, can develop 'truckers back' and/or secretary's butt!:D

Don't cha think it's a toss up?
    What are you worried about anyway, thought you were such a perfect physical specimen that the machine will go before you do.
    Besides, once the steel rods are in place and the joints fused, you won't be able to tell the difference.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

come on up and you can rider my SWB with bullrider.... the ride is free, meeting me, priceless....:D
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

rustic, i am a perfect speciman, dont want to risk losing that. switch? are u inviting me over? hmmm, ok, its a trick, when i get there a lynch mob will be waiting.
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

That's just about what I paid for my 61" Wright Sentar...awesome machine...do not regret the purchase one bit.
  6. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with scraper, my 48/19 Sentar is awesome and you get the best of both worlds (sitting or standing).
  7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I hurt worse at end of the day from my back and kidneys being beat to death on ZTR.They mow so fast you'll be bouncing 10mph before you know it.My w/b does leave me with sore legs,but it don't bother my knees(yet)..
  8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

well bobby Im a gonna tell ya, I had a GD super surfer demo for 3 weeks, if you are going to be on one for over 30 min at a time get a sit down machine!!!!!! Try a GD Chariot LX one fine piece of work!!!

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running a WB (favorite is a 61 inch) with a velke for 9 years now...I'm 48 and my knees and hips are fine. My Z's I leave for my employees (and they're half my age). The only time I ride is on one of my Toro Groundmasters.
  10. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I agree with Naturalawn. I have a Super Surfer and I hav a couple of yards that take about 45 minutes to mow and after that my legs are tired. I also think that your body has natural suspension in your legs if you are standing. Your knees, legs, hips, back and to some extent your arms provide you with a natural position to work in. My experience with riders is alot of bumping around and a sore lower back at the end of the day. I think that a sit down sulky that you can stand on too or the Sentar are good choices.