1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

"Stand-UP" mower decision

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NJemerald, Feb 27, 2004.

1. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hello,
    We are trying to make a decision on which "Stand-UP" mower to purchase... either: Wright "Stander" or Great Dane "Super Surfer"

Do any of you have some insight/experience with these units.
    ie... efficiency, maneuverability, maintenance, durability, collection of grass

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Standers are compact so they dont take up as much trailer space or truck space.

Hills are scarey, and have fun with low limbs. other than that, I think if it is something you can work with.......go for it

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

These are words of an inexperienced operator. I'm 6'2 and comfortably mow under trees that I wouldn't be able to get under comfortably w/ a w/b and still have control over. Just squat down and as long as the handlegoes under the branches, so will you, just peak your head out the side. As far as hills, you can mow either across or up and down. If you're going downhill, just position your weight way out the back to provide more traction for the wheels. It takes some practice, but no biggie once you get the hang of it.
    BTW I speaking of the Wright Standers

5. NJemerald

from NJ

Thanks for the responses...
    How are they though in efficiency & durability as opposed to the Great danes?

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I had more trouble getting parts for great dane than anything. Other than that I had no complaints. The frame cracked after about 3 1/2 years. It was welded, and worked fine. I just cant figure out to this day what the parts problem was, and it was with multiple dealers. I say go with Wright.

7. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

These are words of an inexperienced operator.

-------------------------------

lol...........Thats funny, I probably shouldnt have responded to this post because I don't own a stander.

I run WB and Z turns, but to say I'm an inexperienced operator is completely false.

8. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

In the 2 years of cutting with a Wright, I have no complaints.

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

just go check out the entire machines and decide for yourself. Im fortunate that one of my dealers carries both, so i was able to compare one unit literally next to its competitor. Considering they are so similar looking, the dane is a world apart (not in a good way)

10. NJemerald

from NJ

MacLawnCo
    You ARE fortunate to have BOTH at ONE shop to look at.
    I had to travel 1 hr just to look at a "36" "Stander, that did not impress me! They had no 52's in stock.
    The other dealer (1hr in the other direction) has nothing in stock till late next week.
    You'd think with the time of year it is, These places would keep their show room full with several display models at least.
    :rolleyes:
    Besides talking to people with "first hand experience" beats checking out the obvious, ANY DAY!

From the posts I've read, Your just getting into the Stander. What made YOU purchase the Stander over the Surfer and what size did YOU decide on?

Thanks,
    Bryan