Stand Up or Sit Down???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cklands, Feb 23, 2003.

1. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I am sure this has been discussed before so I apologize. I am going to purchase a new mower for this season. I run 2 man mowing crews dor the most part. My question is Surfer or Ride On? There is not much $ difference. Obviously one big difference is that the grass catcher is larger on the ride on but you also have to dump most of them on the ground and then pick it up and put it in the truck. Also on properties where you can dump in the woods you can't (unless there is a path to drive the mower out.) So is there any real time saved with the ride on? By the time you pick up your piles haven't you spent the same amount of time as you would have with a walk behind type grass catcher?
    Both mowers save the operator's energy by not having to walk so there is no benefit to spending the extra $ there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

All depends on the areas you cut,if your getting in with a 52" walk behing then I say get a rider and yes they are more $$$,As far as the bagger Exmark has the Ultra Vac which is either 2 or 3 bags that can be removed one by one and dumped

3. cklands

from MA

My average size is around 10-15k.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Just based on standing or sitting, I'd take the sitting. Another benifit would be less strain on your knees. And easier to get under low branches and other obsticales. Also, the sitting machine probably has a lower center of gravity, making hills easier.

5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

That is a tough one. I would have to say a sit down machine would be less strenous on the body. Although moving obsticles faster while mowing would be a great benifit to standing.

6. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

Why not consider a Hustler Shortcut.. you can stand or sit!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm.... I have a couple of properties that are 10K, but most are 25K-35K, one about 65K. I use a 36" w/b for the larger ones, but wouldn't think of using it on a 10K lawn. For those that small, only the 21" hand mower comes off the trailer. I'm very surprised at the suggestion of needing a rider mower for these small properties! If all I had was 10-15K lawns, I would never invest in a w/b at all, let alone the price of a rider. Quality of work is far too important (and demanded by the customer) to think of using a wide mower on the small properties.

Unless some physical problem makes walking difficult, mowing these few lawns would be a breeze. I work solo, mowing between 800-1000 per year, and walk on most of them (I'm nearly 62 years old). I have a Velke for my 36" w/b, but use it sparingly because of the wheel mark down the middle.

... just my $0.02 worth.

8. cklands

from MA

Roger- Are you kidding me. I put a 48" hydro w/b on 3000 sq.ft lawns. The only reason I even have a 21" is because I have a few peoperties where you can not get anything bigger in the back yard due to fences. If you mow that many with a 21" imagine what you could do if you used your 36 or even bigger. You said you mow between 800 and 1000 what per season. Is that total cuts or customers? If used properly the quality should not differ between a 21 or bigger. Just my .02 though.

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

A rider by all means. At the end of 8 hours in the hot sun. Your body will know why.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned