Standard equipment loadout

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tstrong, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

What do you think is the best standard equipment loadout for a solo operator?

I think: 48" to 52" ztr, 36" wb, 21", trimmer, edger, blower. With this a solo operator can do everything from a postage stamp to 2 acres efficiently.

2. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 60 ztr, 36 wb, and have 2 21" trimmer edger blower, solo right now, but hiring employee next month.

3. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i think a 48'' ztr is to similar to a 36'' w/b.... diff. layout of mower i know due to the fact that 1 is a rider and the other 1 you walk, but the deck is too simialar...

if you get a 36'' w/b you need at least a 52'' deck if your lots allow you to max your use out of it.

i think a 52''-61'' is a good ztr to acompany a 36'' mower, if your budget will allow it.....
    a 52''-61'' is good for multiple acres, like 3acres plus.....

while a 52'' is okay (key word okay) on lawns under an acre, but will not perform an gated lawn, thats where the 36'' comes into play. the 36'' is only limited to an acre or less, unless its a gated lawn of opening of 36'' in that case your limited no matter what sq. feet that lawn is.

A 36'' & a 52'' is a excellent combo to use for solo operation, b/c your not limited all that much on wht size lawn you can cut.... you can mow lawns of 2k sq.feet (36'' deck) to 4 acres (52'' deck)... anything above 4 acres i'm gonna have to say you need a 61'' or a 72'' ztr to maximize productivity.

4. A+ Lawncare

now for the limited startup LCO i'm going to say the perfect mower combo for a small startup is an 48'' w/b fixed deck, belt drive and an 21'' toro or similar mower...... the 48'' w/b w/that setup is gonna run from $2,500-3,200 and the commercial mower is gonna cost from $500-1k.... so with that said you can get your feet wet with about an $3k-4,200 outfit (mowers only).... for all of the other goodies you can get yourself into full business for about $3,800-5k total (on the slim side, buts that all you need when setting up 1st season for small lots).....

this setup will allow you to cut average lawns under 2acres efficiently in about an hr.....perfect for in town neighborhoods.

5. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I agree with A+ Lawncare on the limited setup. The only thing is that I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a push mower. You could probably get away with one for under $200 for I'm figuring that you would not have to use it all that much. The 48 " w/b should get you in and out of every lawn. Probably the best bang for your buck machine.

This setup will surely get you into the business as a solo operator and it would also allow you great efficiency right from the start.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to assume that you only want to buy the equpment one time instead of buying startup equipment now and replacing it in 1 or 2 years when you outgrow it. 60" and no smaller ZTR. Don't toy with the 48 and 52. They may be big enough to cut 1 and 2+ acres (43,560 sq ft per acre, measure it folks, those 2 acre lawns you're doing aren't probably anywhere near that big) but a 60 will do it in a very reasonable amount of time. I use my 60" on everything from small patches of 100 sq ft to mutliple acre multi-million dollar estates. I do have a 36". It's used for hills, one gated yard I do and a couple of lawns that I bag. I use a junk hand-me-down Crapsman push mower on 2 tiny, tiny patches that the 36 just can't get to. Spend the money now and get a really good 60" mower now and you won't be wishing you did later.

7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on your budget and how serious your are about this line of work. You could just use a 21" and do just small yards and you wouldn't have too much money in it. Or you could invest in a w/b or rider and do the properties a lot faster but your overhead will be higher so you have to have a certain amount of revenue coming in to justify having it. It seems to me that there are people where I live that are more interested in showing off their equipment than using it to it's full potential. Kinda like "keeping up with the Jones". Is it that way anywhere else?

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with A+, i started with a 36" w/b, 21" , Kawi, trimmer, Kawi blower, as a back up the Crapsmen trimmer, handheld blower.....the enclosed set me back $2500.00, but i had to have it!!! :)

9. A+ Lawncare

A Martinez, how much did everything cost, minus the trailer?

can't believe you went w/an enclosed trailer all you needed was an 10x6 carrying that lil tight package and it would have costed ya about $800..... anyways what size trailer did you go with?

10. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 48" w/b, a 21", trimmer, edger, blower, and a hedge trimmer. Right now it's all I need. I've been entertaining the idea of getting a ztr, and will probably be buying (when I need to could be tomarrow could be in 2 years) an exmark or a grasshopper. These are the brands the dealer I want to use sells.