1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Standard For Sale is it a good deal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikewhit1010, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel like this is a good deal. I found it on craigslist.

It is a 42" Wright Standard it is 4 years old but 323 hours on it. It hasnt really been used but it has been maintained over the past 3 years. He is asking 3200.00 but will accept a good offer which means it would probably be closer to 2800.00 or so.
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

I can't help you on price, but would urge you to exercise caution. View the machine and check legal ownership. Read yesterday how a fellow member on here got screwed for 2K+.
    There are too many of these thieving mofo's around
    Good luck and I hope you get a good deal :)
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I would hope that Mike already is aware of the other issue that guy is dealing with. I'd think he'll make a deal where he'll see the mower, drive it and test everything before he hands over his hard earned cash.
  4. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on which engine. A 17 hp Kaw with electric for $2800 would be a good deal, but I might only buy it if it was the newer model (which it probably is not, since the new model debuted about 3 years ago). The 42" old models actually had an advantage over the new models--they have a 4" wider track, for better handling (the old 36" used 6.5" wide tires). However, really old ones had slower top speeds, since the hydros were different. Older Wrights also had slow blade tip speeds for 18" and 16.25" blades, but you would not have to worry about this with the 21" blades on a 42". Older Wrights also have more deck cracking problems; they added gussets later on to fix the problem (triangles which extend out past the blade covers).

Here is a rear picture of an old style 36" and a newer small frame 48" (same as new 36" and 42").

5. mikewhit1010

mikewhit1010 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the great reply. I have thought about everything when you purchase a mower that seems like a good deal. the great news is I dont need another mower but I cant pass up on a good deal...so I am going to go test it and chek it out. thanks for the advice on the older models.