Standard hardscape rate in St Louis MO?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by eddiemendez, Apr 12, 2008.

1. eddiemendez

eddiemendez LawnSite Member

I have been in landscape biz for 6 years and last 4 with more hardscape. I recently bought out biz partner and am running the biz solo now. I have been second guessing my estimates last year and this. Profit margin I feel could be slightly higher. I do a lot of custom work with diamond block and anchor--curved lines, patios, walls, etc. Want to get others input on what they charge for hardscape in STL to make sure I'm on the right page. Last advice I got was a few years ago and at that time industry standard here was $30/sq ft. I'm originally from Cali so not many contacts here. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

2. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

You are on track. STL is slow now so I wouldn't over price myself. We do a lot of prevailing wage commercial there so we have to charge more. You need to stop using the Sq. Ft. method and start bidding your time, materials, and equipment.

3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

you do need to stay away from the per sq ft method, but if you are getting $30/ sq FF then you are on the right track for walls using cheaper block like diamond, and versa-lok basic blocks. For more fancy stuff your price can go up pretty fast.

I know this is a tough question, however, as an average what are people getting for pavers with the paver you use the most?
    For something skinny like a sidewalk and for something bigger like a patio with some straight and some curves. Thanks.

4. eddiemendez

eddiemendez LawnSite Member

I 've been using the Belgaurd dublin cobble and on average I charge about $12/sq ft. That gives me a pretty good profit margin.

Thanks for the input.

I used to charge like you suggested, but once I becasme so busy I had to simplify my estimates. Now that you mention that, no wonder why I have been second guessing my bids. I gues I will have to go back to my old ways of biding to feel comforatable again.

5. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

30 per square foot is the reason I can send a crew to St. Louis for 5 months to build walls. 12 Dollars per square more than we get here and materials are cheaper there. I love overpriced markets.