1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

standard or high lift blades for my old 52 scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Feb 8, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I bought gator blades for the spring and fall to go along with my grassgobbler bag. But is there a better blade for regular cutting when not bagging. I plan on bagging only first and last cuts for some of my lawns. I have always used standard blades, am i missing out on something? Is there something better? Thanks
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use hi-lift gator blades on our Scag Tiger Cubs with the advantage deck. They seem to give the best cut in different grass types and do good in the fall for mulching leaves. Do you have one of the old Scag decks or the advantage?
  3. RobertCT

RobertCT LawnSite Member

I just purchaed a 52" scag ztr, so I don't know how the blades cut. I have heard that having at least one high lift blade nearest the chute is recommended. In the fall, I was planning to add hurricain mulch blades & shute cover to mulch the leaves left behind during the last cut after I trac-vac those piled under trees and blown in corners. Does this sound right?
  4. clydesdale

I do not have the advantage deck, this machine is 16 years old but is perfectly maintained and remotored for the first time last year.
  5. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 52" Hydro WB that is 16 years old too. Repowered a few years ago.

I find that using high lifts really make a huge difference. I have also tried gators with low lifts as a double blade setup and it worked great. Just too much drain with the 14HP that I put on it.

What HP do you have? You might want to try a double setup as it really left a great cut.
  6. clydesdale

I went with the new twin 17hp kawi last year. I have never heard of a double blade setup. Please tell me more. I have always run the standard blades. Even after doing this for 16 plus years I only now have even inquired about blade differences. That is why i picked up the gators and the bag in the off season. Let me know about this double idea. You feel the high lift blades make that big of a difference? Thanks
  7. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member