Standardized Pricing? I need your help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpel2004, May 5, 2005.

1. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

As of April 1, 2005 I have been in business full time for a year. I live in Pompano Beach which is about 5 min from Boca Raton, FL. where the home prices range from 1mil to 20mil. in the association that I cut in. My problem is there are many large lco "The Big Boys" and many small lco prices vary considerablely, I talked to one small lco and he told me for one of his properties he gets 3k per month ( he charges $50/per man with a 4 to 5 man crew). I have distance relatives that have been in the business for more than 25 years that have no set standards and couldn't provide me with any help on pricing, except for telling me I'll eventually learn, yea by that time I'll be broke. Like many newcomers to the industry I struggle to determine what is a fair price for my customers. I'm not good at eyeballing an estimate and I want to have a standardized system of pricing/measuring. I want to be able to give an estimate with confidence. I'm trying to achieve $35 to 37.5 per labor hour.
    1. How do you organize your company to determine the complexity of the lawn.
    2.What do you charge per sq ft. to mow
    a.21in
    b.36in
    c.54in
    3.How do you determine your charge for bed manintenance. i.e. $1 per sq ft
    4.Do you charge per linear feet for edging/weedeating if so how much.
    5.How do you determine your charge for shrubs/hedges.

All respones are greatly appreciated.