Standards/rules sheet!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DBLC, Jan 12, 2005.

1. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Here is a list of rules I want to make employess sign upon hiring. Just so I will have proof they were aware of. I also want to add as #1 "IF YOU LOSE IT, BREAK IT, STEAL IT, OR FORGET IT YOU WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!! I make my employees pay for lost items. Does anyone have any to add or should I delete any?? Are these leagal/fair. I am NOT looking for a fight!!!!! I simply want to devise a rules sheet that is attached to my application packet. Thanks for your help!

Standard of conduct is a serious subject because of any commission of any of these acts may result in immediate termination of employment. The following is an official list, but not limited to, of prohibited activities for employees. Please read each carefully and if you should not understand or a question arises, one must ask immediately.

Falsification or alteration of company records and/or work orders.
    Possession of dangerous weapons.
    Possession or under the influence of illegal drugs and/or alcohol.
    Threatening, intimidating, or coercing customers and/or employees.
    Harassing customers and/or employees.
    Insubordination and/or refusal to perform tasks.
    Gambling, and/or fighting on company property or job sites.
    Theft, misappropriation, misuse, and/or willful destruction of company property and/or job sites.
    Revealing confidential information to unauthorized persons.
    Gross misjudgement in performing job.
    Soliciting tips, jobs, and/or favors from customers.
    Distributing literature, posting information, and/or removing company documentation from bulletin boards, offices, and/or vehicles.
    Interfering with and/ of hindering work schedules and/or employees.
    Missing more than three or more scheduled work days during the first ninety days of employment.
    Being absent two or more consecutive scheduled work days without approval.
    Use of company vehicles, supplies, services and/or employees for personal use.
    Unauthorized of company phone for personal business.
    Being on company property before or after your scheduled work shift without specific authorization from the supervisor or manager on duty.
    _____________________________ ___________________________

Employee Signature and Date Supervisor Signature

2. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Jeez...man....maybe you better look at another location for your workers. Sound like you are getting a lot of bad apples in your employment with a form like that.

3. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I would assume from reading this that you have a decent sized operation. If you have more than one or two people I think this type of form is good. I have to agree with the previous post though, I wonder what type of people you're hiring. I know that it's tough to get help at all let alone good help so you need something like this. Everyone needs to know the rules. I would change the first point about loss and theft to simply say if someone is a crew leader or working alone,(responsible party) they are responsible for the equipment in their care. They are responsible to return it and return it in good condition. -Paul

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If they break it they pay for it?? That doesnt sound fair to me. And what if they get the flu or something, and miss 2 days? Other than that they all seem basic to me.

5. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the break buy it policy IF its wilful misconduct but if its just a breakdown no way.

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

I can't see if you break it you pay for it,unless it is a childish act of on purpose play.If you use tools everday sooner or later they will brake.So if you've got a good employee or employee's...........what the heck.............you'll make it up!

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

not bad, but why bother? i always wondered why our handbooks had things like "stealing will result in termination". forst of all, if someone has to be told stealing is against company policy, this person must be an idiot. second of all, an employee has no rights under the law. he can be fired for anything, or nothing at all. the two places i worked at had a strict no fighting policy. with no questions asked, if two people were fist fighting, they were both terminated. this rule was stupid, idiotic, and unfair

8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new and this is my first post :waving:

Anywase....I had one employee working for me last year, was my next door neighbour who needed summer employment. I left one of my trucks at home so all he had to do is jump in and go to work. He started at 9am each day,wouldn't get out until 9:15, I would pass him going down the road and then he decided he was going to charge me 2 hours travel time each day, sometimes more.

Some ppl really don't know and need to be told lol.

9. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

i would think you were a d*ck if you gave that to me. it sounds like you are paranoid about being screwed over. maybe you've been burn't in the past. i'm sure any of us with employees that are not family/friends have been burnt. its part of the biz.

that being said my advice is to make an employee handbook that has more than just a list of things that can get you fired. you need to establish procedures that are fair and balanced. state your policy for sick, vacation, personal days. Salary review procedures, promotions procedure, eligibility for healthcare, etc. Add your mission statement, company history etc. sneak in a non-compete clause if you'd like, etc.

just my .03 cents

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Your profile says that you are only 24 years old so I also assume a small operator yet you have more written rules (some silly ones I might add) than Mircosoft... :waving:

As to the "break it you buy it" rule....that is illegal for an employer to enforce and you'll lose everytime with the Dept of Labor both State and Fed on that.