1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stander 52" 17 HP $3500

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, May 29, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

Im going to look at a 2003 wright stander 52" with a 17 hp kawi on it tomorrow. the guy is asking 3500 for it. it has 300 hours on it. It however does not have a electric starter. it is only a pull start. Is this a good price for this piece of equipment?
  2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

It's underpowered, but the price is about right if it's in the kind of condition the hours would indicate. Is this a personal use mower, or has it been in commercial service? Either way, he may take a couple hundred less, and if it fills a need, could be a good buy.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I paid $3500 for both of my 17hp 52" standers. Both has less than 50 hours on them. Both were demos. But you are looking at a 2003 model. Not a 1998 and 2000 model which are what I own. The 2003 has all of the much need improvements on them. I would buy it.

I will tell your that the 17hp is under powered. 19hp is a minimum. Just don't plan on cutting tall wet grass. If your crank up the RPMS you can get by.

I was 15 when I bought my first stander. So at the age of 16 your are doing good.
  4. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

thanks for your input. ithink im gonna see if i can get him down to 3000. Im getting ready to go look at it. if i buy it i will post pics.