Stander and trailer gate question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Of you folks that have Wright Standers, how long are your gates? I bought a new trailer, and the Stander (36) hangs up on both the rear gates, and the side gate something terrible. The gates are 4 foot, and there is no dove tail. The deck sits 17-19" off the ground, and I am trying to determine how long the gates need to be so that it does not scrape like crazy, or completely hang up when loading?

Thanks
    Jay

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

What is your cutting height set at? at 3" mine hit, but at 3.5 they clear. I usally pull a little wheelie to clear the trailer, when they are set at 3". (always fun to do with the last machine on since there is only 1" to spare between the 2 standers and sentar) The next trailer I get will have a longer gate.

3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I dont own a stander but can you back up the ramp and clear it a little better?

4. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Set the hitch higher on your truck, that will lower the back ennd of the trailer.

5. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

do a wheelie when loading on the trailer. or go fast enough that you catch air going on to the trailer.

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

My Stander is set at 3" cut height, and I fear if I go much higher I will not get enough vacume to get a good cut. I tried raising the front caster all the way up, and still was hanging up.

I don't want to jack with the hitch, I have a slight drop from front to back, and think it is a good thing to have all four trailer tires touching, and preferably as level as possible.

Backing on does not help, she belly's out either way.

If I drop the side on a curb that is 6" or more elevated, it will come right off without a hitch. I fear that it will still hang up on a 5 foot gate on level ground. 6 foot gates will be monsters!

I don't have much room for a wheelie, plus it can't be good elevating and slamming down. I already have a crack forming on the deck.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    Jay

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

This happens to a lot of mowers not just standers you have a few choices.

You could replace the gate with a longer one.

You could bolt a block of wood to the top of the gate where it comes in contact with the road so it sits higher changing the angle and decreasing the chance your hang up.

You could get a new trailer with drop axles and why you’re at it get a longer gate.

You could set your hitch so the front of the trailer rides higher this also helps but it can cause a lot of scraping while your driving on bumpy roads or as you enter and exit parking lots.

You could become more aware of how you park and make sure the grade is even when you park for both the truck and trailer often this is the problem as you could have a tire in a big dip like a storm drain and that effects the height of the trailers rear.

What ever you do you need to work on it soon as you can bend your deck or your spindles if you get hung up bad enough.

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Kelly

Without a doubt I am going with longer gates, but the real question is, how long do they need to be? That is what I am unsure of at this point. I don't want them any longer then they need to be to do the job, for obvious reasons. I am sure 6 footers would work, but will 5? Fun stuff.

Thanks
    Jay

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Well you don't have a floating deck like a ZTR so you will need longer then they require since when I drive one up the ramp we have it raised to the max high of about 5 1/2 inches. What if you were to put the trailer on level ground and put some spacers under the gate and little by little raise it and drive your mower up until you are clearing with ease. Then simply messure how much longer you would need to extend the gate at the current angle to where it meets the road. With hitch placement and axle hight its rather difficult to know for certain what hight will work for you until you test it.

10. energy

energy LawnSite Member

Back your 36" at an angle at the end. It will still hit but wont hang.