Stander blade suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, May 22, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have a 36 stander, and do enjoy it, but have found that if the grass is very tall, or wet it blows chunks like crazy. In reality, it is pointless to try to cut if it is both tall and wet. I have used Raptors, factory blades, scag highlifts, exmark highlifts, gaters and scag highlift doubles, factory blades paired with raptors, and seem only to make an enourmous mess.

I realize wet conditions make things a real pain, but I have to mow in heavy dew at times, and am very frustrated. I would be happy if it would nicely discharge heavy growth, but it does not even seem to do that real well.

I would enjoy reading any suggestions.

Thanks
    Jay

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jay--perhaps you expect too much from you stander under the conditions you describe.

there was a recent thread where a member seemed to be doing miracles with tall, heavy, wet grass but I dunno. there are lots of factors in every situation.

I'd suggest slowing down and/or using the highest lift and most agressive discharge blades. good luck.

GEO

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

GEO

Your probably right GEO, I guess I read alot of hype about the machine before buying it, and expected it to be much better then my scag's with standard decks. The deck design is very similar, if not identical to the scag, but does not seem to perform as well in those conditions.

I know what you mean about the threads that imply you can do amazing things..... Where I live, with the grass growing as it is, there is no magic bullet. You wade through the monster growth, and hope you can survive til the grass slows down a bit.

I have the exmark high lifts on now, maybe that is as good as it gets.

Thanks
    Jay

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Just so happens that I had a conversation about this very subject today with another LCO. He said he uses only 3" wide, heavy duty, high lift blades on his 36" and 52" Wright Standers. He said those are the only blades he has been happy with in conditions you have described. I did not ask him if those are Wright blades or aftermarket blades.:)

5. What thread were you guys reffering to?

I did a search, but couldn't find it.