1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stander climbing ability vs. WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcat175, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to replace a 48" hydro WB 14kawi. I have some hills that are 19 - 23 degrees. The 48 wb climbs it all day long up/down/sideways with me (170lbs) on the velke. I'm looking into a 52" Stander with 23kawi. Do you think that I will retain the same climbing/tracking ability as the WB? Or should I just stick with another WB? thanks.
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I do pretty well on my stander. Problem is going DOWN. they say the weight is lower on the mower, but what about my weight. its up higher and its harder to shift my weight than they make it sound. Ive got some hills pushing 30 degrees and it does ok until I turn the mower down. Once you start down, there isn't much stopping until you get to the bottom.
  3. bobcat175

I'm not too worried about down. It could be a controlled slide and I know that I'm not going to get run over because I'm behind the machine. Also depends on how fast you start your decent down the hill.

How is it making the turn when cutting sideways to the hill?

Also do you find yourself pushing with one foot (the other keeps the mower running) to get up the hill?
  4. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

My lawn service uses the Snapper Pro Hydros. It has what is called an accutrac handle between the steering handles, and going up, down, parallel, or perpendicular on hills and banks. We do alot of large HOA's with ditches and banks. Some of these are pond banks, and some of them are small to upwards of 40 degrees, and if it is dry with the accutrac set you can go straight across the bank the entire length of the pond or ditch. These things are awesome. IMO they are very tough and durable. All of mine have Kawasaki engines, and with a velke plus my 220lb they have never let me down. As far as walk-behinds as long as Snapper continues to make this configuration of Walk-Behind I intend to continue to use this brand and type. Good luck with what ever you choose, but I think it would be worth your time to demo one or at least check them out. As for me I'm sold on them.

Oh by the way they have really good ground speed, and the cut quality is as good if not better than alot of others I checked out before buying. I'm one of those people who researches everything for a long while, before I spend my hard earned dollar. Again good luck
  5. grass-scapes

as long as you turn up, you are ok. On the really steep hills, I find myself startng to fall off the back and having to hang on tight. Gentle on the throttle and all is well. Ive climbed a 45 degree hill with it and mow a bank once a week even steeper. I probably shouldn't, but it saves work with the push mower. Those steep ones are tough as the wheel at the top has no grip.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

When going downhill, crouch down behind the machine, you'll lower the center of gravity and improve handling. To turn downhill while mowing along the incline, first turn uphill, then roll backwards downhill, then turn into the next row, same as a WB.
  7. grass-scapes

Thats exactly the way I do it for best results. Ive got some properties where that is not an option. All in all, it does well
  8. bobcat175

that's how I use the WB. Always turn up the hill when cutting sideways. If it's wet I still slide a little but can correct it before going too far from my next stripe. So I'm guessing that the stander is ok on 23 degrees.

Mow'n bud - My bobcat WB has the twin tracking/hydro speed control as well. I rarely use it and rather feather the grips. All depends on the hill, though.

grass-scapes - you climbed a stander on a 45+ hill? If you don't mind me asking how did you measure that?

Turflord - do you find yourself 'sliding down the hill' I do sometimes on the WB but while standing on the velke I can push the handles of the WB to keep it straight. Is that hard to do on the stander? All you have it a bar right in the middle so you get little to no leverage, right?
  9. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

Mentioned above, sort of squat down going downhill,gets weight centered on back wheels, lean forward going up hill, same idea weight is more forward to keep front wheels down. Never had problem going up the hill, going down depending on the grass, wetness , slope, speed, etc. sometimes will skid, not a problem for me but skid marks on turf not so nice. Run the tires soft, better grip than when hard, mentions that in the manual too. also a smoother ride.
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been wondering how the standers compare to a walk behind. It sounds like they have their own unique limitations. I would really like to mow with one for a day to get an idea of how they perform.

Anybody with a stander also have a ZTR. How do they compare to eachother when mowing on hilly properties. Does the stander perform better than a ZTR in this situation?