Stander Curb Jumping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Jun 9, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

stander guys,

can I jump curbs, well, actually, I'm talking about traffic islands.

Can you get up on these with a stander? I don't think it really matters which stander, but I'm looking at JD standers.

Please, let's not make this thread a "Try a Wright Stander", or "Try a Great Dane! Great dealer support, and 0% financing!!!"

JD dealer is close and has good support. Great Dane and Wright are both over 1 hr away. I already have a Grasshopper from a dealer 1 hour away, and that's been a problem more than once this year:mad:

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I used to use a JD stander (i don't remember the number) with a 52" deck. We jumped curbs all the time. The deck has to be up fairly high which ishn't a problem in Florida because we cut at 4-4.75 inches. It is easier to do and easier on the machine if you back over the curb and do it one tire at a time. That way you aren't fighting with the turn of the front castor and potentially benting the castor. Driving off is easy either way, but I like to go forward with one front wheel over the curb till it hits the lower ground then swing the other off and at a slow speed.

I know this should be obvious, but do this with the blades off. Watched more than one guy scalp the curb by jumping on or off with the blades engaged. Only bent one blade, but I can't imagine it helped the machine or the cut any.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Great! Exactly the info I'm looking for!

Yeah, blades off -- pretty obvious. But shutting the door to your skid steer before lifting the bucket is pretty obvious too.:eek:

4. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Yep, I do it with my great dane all the time, no problems..

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I can get over most curbs with my Wright standers set at 3.5". Short curbs or ones with a slight angle I can drive up forwards. Taller ones, have to back up one wheel at a time.