Stander cut is bad. Please Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wski4fun, Jul 24, 2006.

1. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" stander with a 19 kawi on it. It seems to be pushing the grass down as opposed to lifting and cutting. I have a set of recently sharpened mid lift blades. The blades are pitched forward 1/4" with the front cutting at 2-7/8" The rear wheels are set in the middle and the front casters have one 1/2" spacer on top with 2 on the bottom. The blades have one 1/4" spacer on top with five on the bottom. The belts are new and tight and I did check them for tightness after a few hours of wear. The spindles seem fine with no play in them. The blades are on correctly. The bottom of the deck is clean. The only thing I don't know is the rpm's. What should it be with the blades on/cutting. I am going to get something to measure the rpms but wondering if there may be something esle causeing this? Am I cutting to high? It cuts like this with varying degrees of uncut lawn on all my lawns with different types of grass. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

wski4fun, I have a 52" Wright Velke w/b with the same issue. Not sure if the decks are exact, but they are close. Doesn't seem to be lifting the grass like it use to. My rpms are right at 3650. On mine, the left most 2-3 inches is where it is the worst, as far as laying the grass down and not cutting as well. Maybe someone will have some insight.

3. wski4fun

Thanks for responding. Spent a few hours going over the mower with a buddy of mine and all seem normal. I did try running the engine throttled down and that may seem to work. I am also going to try different blades from other mowers.

4. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

This sounds stupid, but make sure the blades are on right side up.

5. wski4fun

First thing I checked. And it's not stupid I've seen it happen before. Any idea on blades that might work better. With all the rain, the grass grows pretty fast put it is thinner then in the spring. The springtime I had no problems.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

try emailing Wright I am willing to bet they never reply