1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stander Cut Mowing Time....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PicturePerfectLawns, Aug 30, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Timed several different lawns on the 36" Toro Grandstand I picked up this past week. Most of the lawns were mid size ranging from 5k-15k, all of which had gates where a bigger mower wasn't able to fit. Small lawn that previously took me 31 minutes, took me 26 minutes loaded to loaded. I called home to get dinner started after telling the wifey, I have "one more, takes me 45 minutes. (A little bigger lawn.) Took me 32 minutes from un-load to loaded back up.

Not only have I found the Stander more maneuverable, quicker, it's also easier to "see and trim" closer to the fence which cuts my trimming time. As for tearing up turf? I'll be honest, a couple of guys were right, if your not careful these things will tear-up turf. My first day was a learning curve, but it's pretty easy to figure out and to figure out who to turn without tearing up the turf.

Thought I would share my experience to those that are on the edge about deciding on a mower. :drinkup:
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

My grandstand is fast.

We should see how hard it would be to put a seat on these things.
  3. PicturePerfectLawns

I love the machine just after a few days now. Besides the starter issue, the owner done dropped me a check in the mail for that issue. I've seen a few complains of people about how the deck moves up and down over rough surfaces. I've found that deck coming up to be a good thing. I did one yesterday that has dips that aren't level in the back. I can keep full speed through there and that deck comes up a bit over them bumps. Full speed and no scalping. The tires are a lot wider on the grandstand then the V-Ride I was looking at. It still will tear up turf if your not careful. I caught the hang up it pretty quick though. :cool2: Over-all I don't think I would go back to a walk behind again unless I absolutely needed it for a hill. I found out what you were talking about on the hills. I can go straight up and down the few that I do have with ease, but I tried to put that thing on the side of a steep ditch yesterday, my lord. :laugh:
  4. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

What mower, timewise, are you comparing to? The Turfmaster?
  5. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to know as well. I want to replace my 36wb and maybe supplement my 52z if possible with a 36 GS.
  6. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I love my Wright. I'll never walk again.
  7. PicturePerfectLawns

For some reason I thought I mentioned it in the above post, but I didn't. These times were in comparison to my 36" Walk Behind. Times included loading and unloading of the equipment. That's another benefit I love of the stander. It might not seem like much time, but throughout the day I think it will make a difference alone for me. The load/unload time on the stander is even faster then the walk behind for me. I love being able to turn-key and be off the trailer in one second rather then having to turn the key, then having to climb around to the side of the walk behind or walk around to the front just to pull start and hope it starts on the first pull.
  8. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Well thats substantial time savings for a same sized deck. Good!
  9. PicturePerfectLawns

Yes sir. I don't think I would be caught dead using walk behind again unless it was in a place I couldn't get with the stander. You feel a lot better at the end of the day too. :laugh: With all that said, none of this really matters anymore, because we're about done for the year without any water in the near future. Grass has quit growing, everything is going dormant, and the St. Augustine is looking toast and like it's nearly dead in most areas. :hammerhead: I just went out to Hutto, did one house that's heavily watered and still dried out nearly, and passed up the remaining four. I circled that neighborhood in amazement, EVERYTHING golden brown.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

How many mowers have you been through in the last few months?

thousands in debt now?
    Wheres that sitting on a credit card?

It's seriously not worth saving a few minutes per lawn, especially with the torn up turf, now you;; eventually get a few cancellations from picky customers out there staring at their lawn imperfections, some of them your fault, most of them not.
    But they will SWEAR there lawn was like a golf course before you started cutting it too fast with that "thing".