Stander Deck Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gudtimes, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

I am in the market for a new mower and i haven't had time to make it to the dealer to actually check out the Stander and i am wondering how the deck is raised and lowered.

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The Wright Stander does not have a floating deck. To change height in the field, you are limited to moving the washers on the front castors. At home you can change the spacers on the blade spindle, or make a radical change on the deck that would take a good deal of time and effort.

The Dane, and I think Deere Standers have floating decks making height changes much easier.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It is the major downside of Stander and that is why they don't surpass the Z or hydro WB. Trying to adjust Stander height of cut is rocket science, compared to a floater WB or a Z, you know what I mean if you have to change cutting height like 3-4 times a day, you're toasted..if you only have a Stander. If Stander fix this, I think they might corner market for the stand-on type of mower.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

AS a Stander owner I will tell the you that changing deck height can be a challenge. But, I never change my deck height....so it is not a problem for me. I never changed the height on any of my fixed deck walk behinds either.

So....if being able to change height at will is important to the way you run your business, then no, a Stander is probably not the right choice right now. But if it is not important than you can't buy a better machine.

Just make sure you get the largest engine possible for the mower you buy.

Derek

5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Is the Sentar model the same as the fixed deck Stander for deck height adjustments. I am looking for a 36 to 44 Hydro walker but have been thinking I should take a look at a Standar or Sentar to see if they would make a more efficient mower. Maybe the John Deere Stander would be a better choice as I need to make deck height changes sometimes.

Thanks Wayne

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

The Sentar is a floating type deck, so height adjustment is easy. I don't believe they make a Sentar smaller then a 52, but could be wrong on this. Do you have your heart set on a walkbehind/Stander? I ask because you can get small commercial riders in the same price range as the Standers and walkbehinds. I much prefer to sit, and they have adjustable decks as well. Resale will be much better. Try to trade in a walkbehind these days, and see what you get for one. The walkbehind market is dead! I really think the new Cub that is 48" cut with, 23 Kaw, and has folding sides that make it able to through a 36" gate, looks very interesting. You will be able to get one in the mid to high 5G range. Keep your options open.

Jay

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

They do make them under 52". As a matter of fact, I think they just came out with a 36" for 2005 (pretty sure anyway).

8. billc

billc LawnSite Member

I saw a 36" Sentar at the CLIP Conference

9. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

it is very easy to change the height on fixed decks, it is not something that you need a PHD for. just drive the mower towards the ramp door of the trailer, put one of the front tires on the ramp door and leave the othe hanging from the edge of the door, change the height and then do it for the other. the whole thing takes less that 15 seconds.standers with their fixed decks from wright are great machines

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

zmowingmaster

Dude, if you can do that in 15 seconds, your in the wrong business. Jeff Gordon needs you dealing tires on his pit crew! :p Seriously, you can't keep a proper pitch when only adjusting only the front castors. I have some lawns I cut at 3", and some at 3.5, making a jump that significant is not easy on a fixed deck, and still get good results. I don't jack with the deck height of my stander, but it is only used for back yards, but if it were a primary mower I would not be personally happy with the deck height restrictions.