stander demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuck bow, Jun 15, 2006.

1. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

After running Scag hydros for years decided to demo a stander since front line mower is in for repairs , damn i hope i can get used to this thing fast because right now i dont like it very well . I know its a operator problem but seems like its very jerky and i cant run a straight line worth a crap let alone stripe a lawn any suggestions to make this thing any easier would be helpful lol

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Is it more or less brand-new?
    My Gravely wb was the same way until I got used to it, and it loosened up a bit.

My dealer says most hydro's are the low-volume high-pressure variety. He also said that Ferris wb's use a Eaton low(er)-pressure high-volume system. Dunno if he is right, but it might explain why all of the Ferris wb's I've seen operating look very smooth.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The company I work for just bought 2 brand new Standers and the hydros are very sensitive. It will just be something you will have to get used to, because I don't think they are going to loosen up very much. When I first bought my walkbehind, the hydros were very touchy as well and it took me several operating hours to get used to the sensitivity. Good luck.

4. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Make sure the linkage at top of shaft connecting to hand levers is in the less responsive setting. Our Stander was in that setting when purchased and we have not found a need to move linkage into more responsive setting. You will get better with more time on machine.

Wayne

5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I bought my a Stander in the spring. For the first few days I was starting to regret buying it because it was so touchy. After I had a few hours under my belt I got the hang of it and have no problem operating it. Just give it a bit of time and you will be fine on it.

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one, and not only are they "touchy", but It made me worry about carpel tunnel. It was my neighbors, and he demoed my Walker, and my Hustler H bar and said, wow, those sure are easy to use!

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

you gotta give it time.........even the Toro controls take some time to get use too......

8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

actually no, I have had my son come help mow, and with the H bar Hustler he was trained and striping in less than 2 minutes. Same with the toro I used to have, had a new guy start, and halfway thru the first yard he was cruisin. I think the Wright will wear on your hands, and I cannot afford that.

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been riding a Stander for 3 years with no problems...