Stander handling curbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snap12.5, Jan 12, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

For those with Wright Standers - How do u get over 7inch rounded curbs? With a walkbehind, u can just put some weight on the handle bars thus lifting the front wheels and then lower the mower after the curb has been climbed. This doesnt seem possible with a Stander especially since it has a fixed deck.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have a couple properties with curbs, I don't know if they are 7" or not, but all we do is ease up to the curb and ride a wheelie over it into the lawn. Most experienced Stander owners know what I'm talking about..taller, square curbs like the ones in the parking lot at Office Depot may be a little different, though.

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

if they are really large, back up and over them at an angle... ive yet to encounter a problem.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Read your owner's manual. There is a whole section on how to jump curbs. I usually do a wheelie on short curbs.

But tall ones you need to back up to the curb on an angle, get the left rear up over the curb, then get the right rear over the curb, then swing to the left in reverse, causing the front left caster to get over the curb, then back up and the right caster will come over the curb. Takes all about 5 seconds to do.