1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stander Info please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, May 23, 2002.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

For you stander user's out there no matter which brand are they all Wright and Great Dane say they are. For some reason they have caught my eye and they look like they will work and if so I have got too have one. So please give me your honest opinons.
    I have been looking at both brands (forgot about JD) 52"cut. I feel like if I stay under 60" go with a stander if I need more I will buy a lazer or chariot or etc. If you have a stander any of the three please advise.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Scott- I have the 52 " Stander with 17 Kawi. Love the machine, haven't had a single problem in over a year. My men are happier, too. There is a Stander dealer nearby, so most LCO's around here use them. I don't see many Danes or John Deeres. Mike
  3. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

i have a great dane...it sucks, to say the least, it's ALWAYS in the shop, that's it's most consistant feature...u name it, it goes...personally, i would save your money and buy a ztr, a dixie chopper....hang on to your money and invest in a z
  4. scottb

Thank's for the replies I was hoping to get a few more and I know that not all of them are junk. Evey company builds a lemon from time to time. Dane's dont scare me as much now that they are owned by JD. I have a dealer that will stand by me. What I want to know is for one's that do run good do they cut good do they really perform on hillsides as everyone claims. Im not just looking at Danes also have a Wright dealer within 40 minutes but dont know how well they treat there customers.
  5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Scott, love my 52". The WS does everything I want it to do. If you are shorted than 6' tall you may want to look at the Sentar. I would have investigated them but I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. The seat design is for shorter men than me. It has a fully adjustable deck and goes pretty fast- about 12 mph I think. It is billed as the safest thing for slopes.

Back to the Stander- I threw 4 drive belts in the past month and the dealership took care of all of them for me. Seems Wright Mnf had an upgrade and did not put it on the one shipped to my primary dealer. They made the change and it moves over pine cones and suger balls fine now.

The only draw back to the mower might be if you have larges areas of both short cut (1.5" - 2.0) and tall cuts (3.5 - 4.0) then your in trouble. You will need another mower to handle either on of the cut lenghts. I use my WS for cetipede and my Snapper for St. Augustine.

No complaints on my WS and I've had it for 3 months now.

6. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

What advanatages did you see in the stander vs sit down?

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Standing give these advantages (IMHO): Youu can see better! No surprizes laying in the grass to screw up your mower; legs are stronger than backs- at the end of the day I have more energy and can do the trimmer work because my legs stay warmed up; The WS is significantly less than an equal sized seated Z ( about 2 to 3 thousand); Scalping and digout are very uncommon with the WS; it is safer on SLOPES!!! You can lean into the machine while you are cutting across a slope; lastly- more space available on the trailer. You can accually do a complete zero turn on the trailer to ride off the trailer.

8. mlc

mlc LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 48", 17 Kawasaki powered Wright Stander. I find it to be a very versatile machine. It is super manuverable(sp?) machine on small lawns. Does a good job on slopes, but does take a little bit of practice first. Always start at the bottom of the embankment going across the slope and work your way up. In larger properties in sure beats walking. For years I only used walk behinds and looking back I wish that had gotten the Stander sooner. My unit has been very reliable and I allows me to enjoy mowing again. Good luck with your decision. Steve.
  9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We have a 52" GD Surfer. Before the super surfer and floating deck. Not a bad mower - nice because it leaves room on the trailer. A good in between machine (WB to ZTR).

My complaint is the spindle assemblies (at least the older version) - no grease fittings. Eventually you're replacing the spindles, for us, about every year.
  10. scottb

Thanks this is what Im looking for.