Stander is freaking awesome!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, May 28, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

Hey i just went and tried out a new stander at my dealer today and that thing was awesome! He said he can get me a 52" 17 hp for $5300. I also just wanted to ask u guys if u thought the 17 hp would be underpowered and if it is should i get the 19 0r the 23. the dealer told me he liked the 17 beacayse it had the recoil start if your battery ever went dead. Anyone ever had their battery go dead?

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

my 44'' toro has a 19 hp kawi and even at times I wish i had more power. Also why would you want a pull start? I only had a battery go dead after sitting for a long time and that was on a fourwheeler, they only need a quick jumpstart. I used a hand held jumpstarter.

3. Lawn Masters LC

Lawn Masters LC LawnSite Member

Standers are awesome. I'd go for the highest horsepower. Easier on the pumps and everything else. Just my 2 cents.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't let him sucker you.. 17 hp on a 52" will be woefully inadeqaute..

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the extra 4-500.00 and go for 23HP. You will thank yourself many times over. Congrats on considering going to a Stander...you'll be glad you did.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've never sat on a mower and thought to myself, "Self, this mower has to much horsepower."

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a Wright Stander, but to me, 17HP on a 52" deck on a stander, is not enough power.

8. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I run a 36" Stander with the 15hp Kaw. For most things, it has plenty of power but it doesn't have quite enough when cutting really high stuff going up hill.

17 will not nearly be enough on the 52". Go all the way to the 23.

9. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

I have 23 horse on my 54, couldn't imagine less

10. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

thats what i thought but i didnt know if having the recoil start as a backup would outweigh the advantages of the greater horspower. I definitely think i will get the 23 tho