Stander not for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Jul 1, 2002.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Demoed a 52" WS on Friday and boy was it scary. I have been driving 54" gear drive wb for 5 years so this was quite a switch. It took great concentration to get the thing to go straight. There must have been something wrong too because with both levels pulled in it would pull to one side. My complaints with the mower are as follows:
    1. Both hands always have to be at controls so when a fly is taking a bite at your leg or sweat in your eyes you have to wait to stop.
    2. Required much more trimming because the rear wheels were so close to the edge of the deck.
    3. Would skid badly going down hills. In fact I went into the woods once and have to tow it out with my truck. great going up hills though.
    4. Burned my leg a couple times on the hydro pumps

I know that I am a rookie with this machine but I feel that I could mow 90% of my lawns faster with my wb than this machine and an experienced operator. Mostly because of the fact that I would have much less trimming to do, and I hate trimming. The thing I notice with going down hills is that a lot of the weight gets transfered to the front wheels which results in one of the rear wheels lifting up off the ground reducing breaking and eliminating some turning ablilty which can result in an out of control mower and colision with the woods. Luckily one can exit this machine fairly safely and quickly.

I am going to demo a 52" turf tracer this week and if that goes well may buy the 60" model. I want a mower that will do everything. Currently my yards average about 30-40mins with my wb. I am not looking as much to reduce that much as much as I want to have a hydro so it can pull me around better.

How is the lazer on hills? I still may demo one but my last experience left me a little shaky. The 60" turf tracer is expensive but it may be the best machine for me. Any thoughts.

thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Lazer will be no better at going down hills forward that the stander that you tried. As long as you can live without the 9.5 mph ground speed of a Z a 60" hydro walkbehind is just as good and sometimes better than a ZTR like the Lazer Z. Would I trade my 60" Dixie Chopper for a 60" hydro walkbehind. Not a chance. I've had my DC for 1-1/2 years now and it is just so much fun to operate. A walkbehind is just work and is never fun. Remember, you will be using this machine for years to come so you might as well get something that you like to operate.

3. GSJ

GSJ LawnSite Member

I have 6 turf tracers and 3 ztr's and have found the turf tracers
    to be a much more versatile machine. They handle hills better and
    are an excellent all around machine. If you can only have one
    machine the 52 or 60 turf tracer is the way to go.

4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

My 60" Hustler Super Z does great on inclines. It is a little scary when you are going downhill torwards water. Go to the hustler website and read up on them and then try and demo one. My dealer delivered mine to my door. The service is great also.

5. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

Ditto on the Hustler Super Z. If you are looking at buying something, you owe it to yourself to look at the Hustler. You won't be disapointed.
    :)

6. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

Scott, I have a stander which I use on all my lawns. One of the lawns I use it on has a hill that goes DOWN! So long as the bottom is not wet I can do the whole thing on that machine. The worst part is the side lawn which I do by just going up the hill repeatedly because it is sloped 2 ways. The front of the house I can do side to side without fear. You just have to keep in mind NOT to let the engine face down the hill! If that engine starts facing downhill you are SCREWED! What I have found works is that if you are going side to side, to turn up the hill, and let the weight of the machine ease you back down into your next pass. Please check out the stander again, do your flat lawns first and go to your hills later on in the day, that way you will be familiar with the workings of the machine before you do the hard stuff.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You sound like me. I had a 54" WB gear drive for 3 years. I drove the stander, four different ztr's and a walker. Also, all the pistol grips WB's are just plain unacceptable.
    After looking for a long time, I found the answer. A Hustler WB 54" with zero turn velky. It will out turn any ztr, and without beating up the grass. Unlike all ztr's, and WB hydro's, you don't have to "make" it run straight. It goes straight automatically without effort from you. It also zero turns without "guessing" which way, how much and how longer to move or hold the levers. Find a dealer and demo one, you won't look back.....
    Pete

8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Thanks for your replies.
    I am demoing a 52" turf tracer later this week and I am interested in the hustler from your responses. How do they compare in price to the exmark? I think the TT 60" is going to cost me around $6300.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler's largest WB is 54 inches. Also, if you are mowing 1 acre or less, I'd stay with a 54", there are more times you want a smaller machine, rather than a larger one.
    You should be able to buy a Hustler 54" for about $1,000 less than the TT 60". Also, you might find a leftover and pay much less than $5,000.
    Pete