1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stander or Sentar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by trimmerhead, Feb 23, 2004.

1. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

Have been looking around for a while and decided I'm going to purchase either the Stander or Sentar.

I will be getting either one with a 52" deck and the 23 or 25 HP Kawasaki. Price really isn't a factor.

I know the Sentar is faster but does it tear up the grass more on the turns? Is the Stander eisier to maintain(sharpening blades ect.). Is one more efficient then the other?

The main reason i want the Sentar is because of the floating deck. I'm worried the Stander will tear up my ramp on my enclosed trailer when I am driving it in and out because of the fixed deck. There is about a 4 in. gap between the ramp and the floor of my trailer.

So which do you suggest?

All help is greatly appreciated.
  2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 48" Standers w/ the 17hp Kawi and we love them. As far as the Sentar goes, one of my buddies has one and I think he would die if I took it away from him...he loves it. More turfing? I doubt it considering it is the exact same controls. If I ever bought another, I would most likely go for the Sentar only for the sitting or standing option. When we pull onto our trailers, I just do a slight wheelie to get the deck over the lip.....I know it's a no no, but..............................

3. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

We just bought a Sentar, haven't got it home yet. I think it's a better deal ,I don't see how it would have any disadvantages versus the Stander.

The fixed deck will be a problem with the rampespecially since the height isn't easy to adjust. My wb would if I didn't do a wellie goin up
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

2 of my friends own a Stander and because of how well they performed I bought a 61" Sentar 25HP Kawi last season. I can't imagine any more versatle mower than a Sentar. Incredible cut, highly manuevrable, great on hills, and one of the best engineered (IMHO) deck lift/adjustment mechanisims on the market. Plus, the new Sentars have 16cc hydro pumps making them pretty much bulletproof. Did I mention that the seat has almost 8in of travel, making it the most comfortable mower I've ever owned.

5. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to say look at the Sentar because of the 4" gap in your trailer. My 52" Stander has a bit of trouble sometimes getting over my tail gate when I've parke the trailer on a slight incline or a dip. I keep the deck at 2" hight.

As long as you can stand comfortably on the Sentar I'd get it in a heart beat. The older version did not alow me to stand up straight- I'm 6'4".

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I doubt you would have any trouble loading the stander on a normal enclosed trailer. You could find a demo, or some other LCO owner who would let you drive up and it to see if it would hang up before you purchased.

I would probably try to look at your need assumeing you can get the stander in. Are you doing small residencials for the most part, or are you doing bigger properties. I would look to a sit down rider myself if the properties are large.

I have a 36" Stander, and have probably 20 hours or more on a Sentar. Both machines are very quick and nimble. The mechanics I have talked too hate both machines. Mind you they don't make money with them, they just fix em. Hands down they would rather work on the space shuttle then either machine. When it comes to changine hydro fluid, I have to agree. They are very compact with little space to work on things. That being said, I doubt you will have much problem with breakdowns, especially since the Sentar seems to be improving over time.

They both arre quick to tear grass IMO. I think both are prone to rutting, but more so on the small standers due to alot of weight being over a narrow wheel. My small stander does not discharge real well. Clumps when wet, and does not discharge in a good pattern, or very far. Perhaps the bigger motor, bigger decks would give superior results. I was not overly impressed by the discharge on the Sentar either. I would put it last compared to a variety of Scag's, Dixie chopper, Lazer, and Hustler Z. Again, it could just be my opinion, or machine set up, just an observation. I am sure many would disagree with me, so take it for what it is worth.

Changing blades is a bit of a pain with the Standers, but not dreadful. Changing blade height stinks. I use the mower for gated yards, and don't fool with the height except in an emergency. Moral is, set it and leave it.

I really think both machines are enjoyable to ride, provided the seat is better on the Sentar then it was a year ago. If your heart is set on Wright, I would go with a Stander. If you have big properties where the Stander would not be as nice as sitting and riding at a greater speed, I would look to a regular Z rider or a Sentar if you must buy Wright.
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

If price isn't an issue be sure to demo many different ZTR's. I think that the Sentar is a slick design. The only down falls I can think of is that it is incapable of using a vac system with it, I believe the deck lift is operated by hand so there is not quick raise if you unintentionally (sp) start stump grinding, and on a personanl note I find the controls very sensitive and difficult to control.
  8. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

I already have a Cub Cadet Tank 54". It has a vacuum so that isn't as much of a concern. I am not too impressed with the Tank and eventually I will replace it with a Toro or Scag ZTR. I would do it this year but I can only afford one new mower.

I needed a second mower for the commercial accounts I landed over the winter. The problem is will it fit inside my trailer (8.5x16). I have 21" and 32" plus the 54". This leaves me with limited space for my second Zero Turn. A full size zero turn will not fit, but the Wrights will. I just want to get the wright mower for my money.:D

A friend of mine, who own both, likes the Stander better. I just am unsure it will go in my trailer without causing damage. I change the height of my mowers twice a week so that too is a problem for the Stander. Unless you can change my mind I probably will go with the Sentar.

Thanks for your help.
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You really can't stand for long on the newer versions of the Sentar either. It is still awkward for extended periods. The Sentar is really meant to be a rider which allows you to stand if needed. I can't say enough good things about the Sentar. I've got over 150 hours on mine and no problems or complaints as yet. I got the 61", 25 Kawi new last spring. As for tearing turf? Only reason you'd tear turf is operator error. I will disagree with Shadybrook's review on all his downsides. Last season was probably the worst conditions I have dealt with in years due to surge growth and soggy ground due to all the rain the NE received. If it wasn't for the Sentar, my 52" Scag wouldn't have made it. I would buy another Sentar in a heartbeat. I can't wait to take it out of the mothballs and take her for a spin. It has been a long winter. With temps forecast for the 60's this weekend, I may just do that. If you have any particular questions about the Sentar, feel free to PM me.
  10. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

before i bought my mower my dealer let me take several mowers home for several days to see what I liked the most. The first was a 60 in exmark lazer z, I loved that mower, but it was to big for most of what I was doing, so i tried something new. The next mower was a sentar, and that was alright, but I thought that it was a little akwark. Then he gave me a 52 inch stander, and I ended up buying it. I have no regrets at all on the stander, but I don't think I would buy one that is any smaller. The standers are great, you can mow all day long and be comfortable the whole time. They are also very fast, and mauneravable. And one of my favorite things about them is that they are very short in length, so they fit really well in the trailer. I would go with the stander I think that you will like it more.