Stander or Walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TSG, Feb 5, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Xmark ZT and need another 48 or 36.
    I was thinking Wb because there are some hills in my area, but
    Some of the Standers look pretty good.
    Can anyone give me the pro's and con's of both
    Thanks
    Alan

2. Deputy25

Deputy25 LawnSite Member

Go with the walk-behind. I think you will find that they will do better on the hills.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO im thinking of going stander from now on instead of walk behinds. They pack in nice and tight on the trailer and look awsome. Me neighbour who runs a bigger outfit says standers are awsome as far as hills are concerned. Give them a test drive and see what you like!

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Standers are in my opinion The absolute best all around mower.Hills are absolutely NO PROBLEM!
    Walk behinds have there place.....in a homeowners garage.IMO.IMO.IMO.

5. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

ya i heard that standers take hills very well...i have a toro walk behind 48 in. and it does good on some hills. i would go for a stander

6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

you won't be disappointed.

7. TSG

Are the standers that much better on hills than a sit ZTR ??
    Thanks
    Alan

8. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this will help you out with your decision or not; anyway, here goes.

Right now, I have a 21" Toro Commercial w/b, and a Wright Stander 32" to get me through some of those tight gate openings. Next week, I am going to purchase an additional Wright Stander, but with the 36" deck and Rapid Height Adj. Then once business picks up a bit into the spring and summer, I am going to purchase one of the new TORO Hydro W/B with the 40" Floating TurboForce deck. Not only will the new Toro deliver an alternative quality of cut, but it can also serve as a backup to the Wright 36" or vice-versa.

My ultimate goal, and depending how well we prosper this year, I will finally purchase a Toro Z-Master 558 w/ 28hp Kawasaki with the 52" TurboForce deck.

I guess my overall point is - whichever size mower deck that you use most often, you should own at least two mowers within that range.. For me, 80% of the time, we will utilize mowing deck sizes between 36" and 40". I am expecting to pick up three auto dealerships this spring that will easily accomodate a 52" mowing deck, which is why the purchase of the Z-Master is planned. Regardless, if something goes wrong with the 52" Z-Master, then the 40", 36", and the 32" machines will be there for backup. My goal regarding purchasing equipment is to always BUDGET wisely in order to create an arsenal of VARIETY.

Overall, I feel that many here would agree; dealer support will be one of your greatest assets. So just like you are doing, definitely plan and choose your equipment wisely. Buy the best equipment that you can reasonably afford.

Sorry for being so long winded.

9. TSG

I appreciate the advise,,,,my concern too is dealer support.
    The closeset one is 40 minutes away, and they don't push Wrights.
    I already have an xmark 52 ZTR and am thinking about a 36 for a new acct.
    It seens like the 36 stander would really cut down on trimming.
    Thoughts ??

10. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

"It seens like the 36 stander would really cut down on trimming.
    Thoughts ??"

I suppose it could, especially since it can get in and out, and easily maneuver throughout some really tight spaces.

Are you looking at the Wright Stander w/ Rapid Height Adjustment?