Stander recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lrhandp, Jan 13, 2012.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at buying the 40" grandstand. Can you tell me what your experience has been with the toro grandstand? Thanks!!

2. lrhandp

lrhandp LawnSite Member

I am in southern maine. It seams like more people have stand ons in the 52" range or smaller, is it a mistake to get one larger then 52", or does it just depend on the type of lawns one has

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on your needs. If you have all large wide open areas go for the largest deck. Scale it appropriately.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any differences in the 2009 model and the new models now?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

"Yes sir, I pass because your property sucks, and I can't sit down to mow it"...

6. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

We have the 48" model with the 21HP option. It really doesn't have a bad quality on it. I think the gas cap should be located more toward the center of the gas tank. I think personally it just invites trouble from a stray limb. But other than that it does great. The weight ratio is definitly made so you standing on the back gives the drive wheels more traction. It really doesn't do well as a walk behind. I think they only gave it that feature for temporary use. As always though on wet ground you should be careful.

Anything larger than a 48 for Toro at least will have a larger frame and larger frames and larger decks mean more pull toward the front. So if you're on a hill you'll have a tendancy to nose dive down toward the bottom of the slope. If you don't have any hills really to bother with then yes, get the 52 or larger. But then again, I beleive the ZTR's have larger pumps on the bigger models. You may want to check that out. It will alter how fast you can go. But for us our 48 stander goes just as fast if not faster than our 44" ZTR.

7. TinMan1

TinMan1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SC

That video of the wright on hills is amazing

8. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I wanna see how this is going to turn out