Stander/Sentar... Hot ride?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phaneuf, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

So Yeah! I'm looking to fly solo next season and i'm trying to choose my mower. I've been on exmarks for years now, can't stand a scag, was diggin on husqvarnas but heard they went to crap quick, but wright's stander and sentar has caught my eye because of its design. I like the idea of being able to sit down on the sentar and then stand up whenever you want/need to in the middle of mowing. Its low profile, easy to duck under trees. High visibilty around the deck, its much shorter in length than the exmark of the same deck size... i dunno I'm just almost, just about, sorta kinda on the verge of being hooked on givin this mower a whirl.:hammerhead: ... My question though is for that person who has one of these and has ran it for days on end in the 85/90 degree heat....Is that motor siting in front of you a huge factor on how miserable it is out there on those hot days? [​IMG]
  2. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

We have the 36 Sentar Sport. Different, but pretty similar. I am almost 6'7" and have no issues sitting or standing on it. It is pretty comfortable for me actually. This is our first Zero-Turn, so take this with a grain of salt, but we find it so easy to have an unever cut, any slight dip in the ground and we have to touch it up with the 21''. I assume that with the floating deck of the larger mowers this isn't as much an issue. We also find that there is little ground out there that is not bumpy and it is hard to go fast on it and still have a cut that looks ok and without breaking your back. I really do like being able to shift my weight and even though it doesn't hold hills like we had hoped for, I can tell that a full ztr would be worse.

Like I said though, this is our first zero-turn.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

The Stander looks attractive to me to but i wasn't aware that they only had fixed deck they?
  4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

The fixed decks are only for the STANDERS ONLY everthing else you can get the floating decks.
  5. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

Been working a 32" Stander with a fixed deck since the start of the year.... Few things to add in.... 32 is the only size where a floating deack isnt an option.... I have minamal probles tho since the 32 is so small, and its mainly my trim/gatecrashing mower.... but Im sure the 36 floater would be a good call! Mine works great and runs circles around any other mower I've ever used.... its not fatiguing standing on it.... even after your 12th backyard. The heat.... its been pushing high 80's and 90's here in VA for a few weeks now... its midly annoying only occaisionally so far.... the constant motion does wonders! lol But even then... when its in prime heat mode and your standing still.... its never too hot.... just warmer than the rest of you, and like I said.... mildly annoying. All said, the visiblity of it, and the short wheel base by FAR make it the most productive machine I've ever used.

6. jondcoleman

jondcoleman LawnSite Member

We run two crews and sometimes me as an extra crew and each crew has a 52" Sentar or Stander. They are both great machines. The Stander is a lot lighter and can manuever a little better but the new sentars really fly. Both are comfortable machines. Haven't noticed any problem with the heat before.

Jon Coleman
  7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

The Sentar is a Hot machine, not in heat, but in great.

It's built very durable, is very reponsive in its stearing, and cuts well. It rides like a dirt bike, and eats like a billy goat.

8. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

well thanx, that's pretty much the response I was looking for. Makes me wonder though why anyone makes fixed decks anymore. I'd go out tomorrow and decide between the stander or sentar and buy one if not for one more problem with them.... the closest dealer is 45 miles away....
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the 36" Sentar Sport and it is best machine we ever got. But I don't agree fully on the durability coment there aren't any grease point on the adjustable deck. Some of that stuff will wear out. We got any early model and heat shield come off 17HP Kaw, the deck mounting studs broke and fell out on one side and the brake lock out on hydro doesn't have sufficient motion to clear it. But one call by our dealer on these items and they are putting together an upgrade kit to ship, so I am happy. I think this machine will be the best productivity tool we have, and it don't take up a lot of room in the trailer.