Stander sinking into thick SAN AUG. Scalping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RhettMan, Jul 17, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

my standers blades are at 3" with all front spacers on. its sinking into the thatch and scalping yellow. has anyone else had this problem? should i raise the back for the summer?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If it is scalping, then raise it! 3" is a little low, imo, for St Aug...especially this time of year. I try to cut St Aug at 4 - 4.5" this time of year.

3. amor4421

amor4421 LawnSite Member

Yeah i agree with grits, i would cut it no lower than 4" i cut all of mine at 4 1/4"

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I cut st. aug 3.5-4

5. RhettMan

from Texas

ok thanks for the replys, i think i have 3 settings on the rear of my stander so would

4-1/4" at the back tip of blade and 4" at front tip be reasonable?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would try a 3.5" first, going up a whole inch is likely to throw you off noticeably, there's more to it than simply raising or lowering but since you'll see all that I just thought I'd mention it... Then, once you're gtg at 3.5" the next cut if it still needs raising go to 3.75" and go from there.

As for myself I'm cutting at 5" right now, I finally figured that trick height out :p

7. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

The St. Augustine in our areas (metro-houston areas) should be kept at 3-3.5". Start and end the season @ 3, and it should be at 3.5 during the hotter periods..

Also, I have standers as well. They are shipped prepared for cutting shorter grasses than ours. If you want it to cut right, you will have to adjust the rear tractor to the proper position.

8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

4.5 all the time.....

9. RhettMan

from Texas

okay i moved the rear portion on the deck adjustment to its highest setting and placed all the spacers up front to lift. It now sits on pavement at 3-3/4" rear tip of blade and 3-1/2 " at the front tip, mowed a few yards with it and it is looking much better, still worried about the thick thatched san augustine yards, guess we'll see

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

When you take the blades off, is there spacers on top of the blade that can be moved to the top where the nut is???? I'm pretty sure the blades can be moved up and down as well as the entire mower. Might want to check on this. Maxing out at 3.5 inches isn't that much adjustment.