Stander streaking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, May 18, 2006.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

I had the problem last year of my stander streaking and thought that it was where the blades met on the left side so i tried to time the blades and that didnt work. I then bought a new set of blades and that seemed to help it for a while but it is starting to streak again and the blades dont appear to be worn that much. Any one have any suggestions?
  2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Do you itsgottobegreen? He is the most experienced user of Stander products so far I have known, he said he already got rid of all of his Stander fleet!
    Would that tell you something?
    I hope you find soloution to the problem. regards.
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I believe he did that because he wanted diesel machines.... anyway.....I had a problem last year with the 52" leaving a stripe of uncut grass just left of center. My dealer, the regional distributor, and the engineers at the factory could not explain it or solve I got a new deck, spindles and the whole shabang....

Did the streaking start all of a sudden? Did you hit something? Is there a tire pressure problem? Is the deck level side to side? Is it pitched forward a bit? Are the blades stock blades? Have you tried other blades? Are the belts tensioned correctly? Does slowing down affect the problem? These are all questions I answered many, many times last summer........

I love this mower.....

05 Wright Stander 52" 23 HP kawi owner....
  4. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

The questions Derek asked are all things you need to check as they all have adverse effects on the quality of cut and can cause weird problems. A deck that hasn't been scraped in a while will do things like this.

If all those are good (deck pitch would be the first thing I would check if blades are good and not rounded on the ends from improper sharpening and the deck is clean), it could be a spindle, but not likely unless you hit something really hard.

All the rain we have been getting lately, brings up a thought. If you are cutting off more than 4" and not slowing down, that could also cause this.
  5. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I've noticed it sometimes with my stander 32". I scrape the deck to make sure there is good airflow, sharpen the blades ( when I sharpen I grind them so the tip is a little ahead of the rest of the blade since that's where you have the highest speed and the spot where the initial cut is being made ). Have you tried belt dressing on the belt. I spray it on to condition them and make them grippy, the tension might be good but the belts slipping a bit and loosing speed. Anyway it was strippng the other day and I just did the above and was cutting the thick stuff in the rain today with no stripping. I wish it would stop raining for a bit. Last month it was 1 5/8" all month and dusty as heck now we have had 2" in the last week or so, though nowhere like the crap in new england.
  6. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

I havent checked all of these things you have mentioned but i will definitely look into it. I just ordered some new blades yesterday. They are the standard blades. I also tightened up my belts the other day. I really hope that my deck isnt warped. I have heard of people on here who have had that problem. My mower is an 03 and i bought it used so i dont have any warranty. thanks for the info though!