1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stander vs Rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman16, Feb 19, 2007.

Stander vs Rider

1. Stand-on mower

2. Riding Z turn

1. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to know how many of you guys like the stand on style, and what brand. Also dose it take more energy out of you standing than sitting? I was thinking about a John Deere or Great Dane, but what do you think? Any comments.:cool2:
  2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

IMHO, its two totally different mowers with two totally different purposes. One takes up less trailer space allowing us to perform various cutting applications with the right tools. You need a big mower and several small ones, you buy the stander...it will fit. If you have a couple of large props then you would use a rider. That is just my take. It is hard to compare.
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what you are mowing. If you are doing any large properties, you will want to sit over stand. If you do primarily residential & smaller commercial, I think that Wright Standers are probably the best Stander you can get right now though.
  4. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I run standers on any property less than about 1/2 ac. Larger properties get the 321D's. My biggest properties get the Jacobsen.

I agree with liquidfast. Standers and riders are two different machines. Each is great at what it was intended to do.
  5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

Almost all my lawns are under an acer, and most have ALLOT of obstacles:eek: . I will be keeping my 52'' Lazer Z but I want another mower that is faster for 1/2 acer or less lawns. How fast can you cut on a decently smooth yard with a stander? Do they stripe well :confused:? Which do you think I can cut a cluttered 1/4 acer lot faster with?
  6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a stander would work the best.

Walker shines on the small cluttered properties.
  7. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

we mow large properties with standers, 5 acres or so. they are very easy to run with not much fatigue. i have both standers and sit downs but the standers go out 90% of the time. i run all great danes and love them. others will disagree with me on this but i own 11 of them and have been very happy.
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I had a Toro Z....traditional mid-mount style Z. It cut nice, was easy to operate. I didnt like getting up and down when there was trash to grab. I also didnt like sitting. Just a personal preference I guess. I am buying the Wright Sentar Sport this year. I like the option of standing or sitting but sitting without control arms in front of you.:usflag:
  9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Mowman, lawnpro here has the right Idea as he's getting the best of a sit down Z and the Stander. lawnpro, what deck size are you going with?

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I decided on the 48" deck, 19hp kawasaki. A majority of my properties are 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots. I have a couple of properties that are about an acre.