Stander vs Surfer the demo!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tbarchaser, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Ok kids, This should be the last post about this!!! The verdict is in.

I have a wright stander 42 and I took out a demo 52 supersurfer today. There is a BIG difference they both had a 17 kaw were used on the same lawns, same slopes same conditions. The only difference was deck size...its not a fair compression to the stander but read on.

Surfer Pros:
    Suspension platform.
    You can step off and the blade stops, not the motor.
    Faster than the stander.
    Very nice deck hight adjustment.

Surfer cons:
    Choke combined with the throttle.
    Rear tires tracks the same width as deck.
    HORRIBLE hillside performance.
    Anti scalp roller on left side of deck limits trim ability.
    Cant mow full speed or deck will bounce ALOT!
    Heavy controls, require more input than the stander.

Stander pros:
    Excellent hillside performance
    Can mow at full speed
    Great trim ability
    Ability to pop a wheelie when needed (or for fun)
    Lighter than the surfer
    Quick direction changes
    Separate choke control

Stander cons:
    Hight changes require tolls and time.
    Not to speedy 6.5mph

To summarize...
    They both had a flawless cut (not as good as a walker but darn close)

Well the Stander pulled the surfer out of the lake and I finished mowing that slope with the stander! enough said...I am staying with Stander.

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah , the anti scalp roller is a bit too far to the outside of the deck... Ohh well cant have it all.... But Ill take the suspension platform and flating deck with easy height settings .. I have no probs with hillsides ??? not sure what you are talking abou t... maybe you were gong a wee bit too fast ?? DId not notice any deck bouncing at high speeds ??? Maybe the deck on the JD is better set up Than the ss ?? ??

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I did notice that the controls require alot more effoert than the walker that I am used to So that will take some adjustment..... Wondering if the springs can be changed to lower tension to make them easier to move ????

4. Pretty funny.

I’ve used my 36” Stander to pull my 52” Stander out of the mud 5-6 times now. Twice, it was within 20 feet of getting stuck the first time. LOL, the first time it was stupid because I pulled the 52” out, put the 36” back on the trailer, got no more that 20 further, and spun the low-side tire again. The worst thing was that my customer was watching.

About 2 months later I did the same thing, in exactly the same spot. Not that it made me feel stupid or anything. At least the customer didn’t see the repeat performance.