stander vs surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Aug 7, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

after much debate i had decided i was going to purchase a stander next spring, but now that wrights decided to screw things up, i'm back to debating again. so which is better? a 36" stander with bad manufactorer customer service, but a very close dealer. or a 36" super surfer without the problems wrights been having lately, but the nearest dealer is 70 miles away.

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Aiel:

I would hesitate with the Wright product at this time. With the way Wright is messing around with their distribution system, I would wonder if my close dealer would still be a dealer 6 months to 1 year from now. Just thinking out loud here.

3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been noticing many members of this site from out West and the Mid-South saying that Wright Dealers and Distributors are either moving or not handling Wright products anymore .... I just find this odd in an interesting way. Here on Long Island, there have to be at least 6-7 dealers that I can think of right off the top of my head let alone doing a search for them.
    If you guys are interested in finding dealers near you, you can go to Wrights homepage (www.wrightmfg.com) and get a list of your closest dealers or call Wright directly and ask them at (301) 360-9810.
    I never have a problem calling and getting an answer to just about any question I have that the local dealer can't answer or if I am not satisfied with their answer.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

the biggest problem i have, is not with wright, but their midwest distributor, keen edge, these guys are idiots!

and......... that wright hasn't done anything to remedy this problem.

i know of 7 dealers that have dropped or are not ordering wrights anymore because of these screwballs.

after reading that there is a nationwide problem makes me wonder!

demo the surfer, it impressed me!

and now that john deere owns them, they have some great finance programs, and you know parts and service will be easily obtained.

john deere dealers will service gd's also, only difference is paint, labels and decks.

in fact i played on a 52" super surfer today.

5. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well if deere dealers will work on and can order parts for surfers, then i think my decission has just been made. we have a lot of deere dealers here in town but i figured i'd have to take the machine to a great dane dealer to have it worked on even though i know that deere owns dane... i guess all that's left is to demo one of them.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

KLM, I totally agree with you. I love my Stander and my dealer has been great. Not that I've had many problems. We've become good friends and these guys will turn around any machine I have in a few hours. I will continue buying Standers. Mike

7. Nichols Lawn Care

Nichols Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I just started into this business on my own this season and I used a lot of different mowers. The Wright-Stander is just a walk behind with the controls moved on top of the mower. Did you notice the wheelly bars on the back. Yes it will easily tip on you especially on hills. I would try a GreatDane if that is what you want, if is more stable and heavy duty. The GreatDane cost more but well worth it--although the price has gone down this year.

8. KLMlawn

Nichols ... the reason for the wheelie rollers is exactly just for that and for traversing curbs and such, if you had the engine at full throttle and hit the levers hard, it will pop a wheelie. Now for your comment on the Great Dane, it was and for the most part still is a copy of the Wright Stander, Dane Scag was privy to the design and concept prior to the debut of the Stander, so in order to try and get some market share, he threw the Great Dane together and got it out on the market first. BTW, the first GD's were fixed decks the same as the Stander, but due to copyright infringment and a court settlement between Scag and Wright, the agreement was that Wright would manufacture fixed decks and Scag would manufacture floating decks for their "stand on" units.
    Wright still is a more solid machine, better control, and in two years of owning one (now two) the only thing I have had to replace are the spindles, probably because I often run doubles, which were covered under warantee.

9. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You should really get the facts straight before posting about the settlement between Wright and GD. Fixed vs. suspended decks had nothing to do with the lawsuit, rather it was the placement of the platform in relation to the wheelbase that was at the center of the dispute. There was never an issue of one company "stealing" a design from another, then going to market. It was a matter of infringing on patents, which is an entirely different scenario, legally speaking, than the one you described.

10. KLMlawn

Martino, honestly, I didn't speak with either companies legal representation, but from several stories I had heard from what I felt to be informed sources, that was the understanding that I walked away with. If you have better information, I am always happy to listen and learn.
    But in my opinion, Wright is still a better machine.