Stander vs. WB with sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Want more productivity for next season, but I'm more comfortable standing than sitting (no ztr).
    Have a 52" Bunton Hydro, 18 hp, with a Proslide. With larger tires, I top out at about 5 mph.
    Has anyone gone from a WB/sulky to a Stander or Surfer? Much of a gain? Pros and cons of standing riders?
    (I suppose my mowing speed would increase some, but would an outlay of $6000 or so re-pay itself?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that you would gain productivity with a stander mostly at the turns. The other factor I would think that a stander might benefit you would be on hillsides.

Kris

3. You might be able to get more speed by installing a smaller v belt pulley on the hydro pump.

4. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i dont have a stander due to lack of a dealer around me but i would like to own one. the z's and walk behinds are all long machines and the stander is more compact. it would fit on smaller res properties better than a walkbehind with a sulky, turning would b easier and steering a stander is easier than pistol grips. also when you are on a sulky the machine pulls you and if you hit a bump u bounce. i think that the stander would reduce the vibration caused by bumps on the lawns and would be more confortable.

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I stand by my comments. I thought this looked familiar, thanks Alan. I will add that the Stander increased productivity greatly over my previous use of WBs with sulky and is well worth the $$$.

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to stand and go faster, just buy a Grwat Dane 52" Scamper w/velkie. Mine goes 7.5 MPH stock. No joke. I believe a 52" is close to $4,300. But GD's w/bs don't have floating decks. However I have never scalped, but my lawns are generally flat.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I email GD yesterday about the speed of the Super Surfer, here is the response to the question of ground speed.

Eric,
    The Super Surfer ground speed is 8.5MPH Forward and 4MPH reverse.

Thank you,
    Tina Mason
    Great Dane Power Equipment
    Sales Assistant
    Phone: 812-218-7100 Ext: 230
    Fax: 812-218-7101
    MasonTina@greatdanemowers.com

Yes, you can get a little more speed, but can 1 mph justify the many $000's to get one? Yes in close spaces it probably would be faster and more productive than a w/b, but in regular conditions there isn't much difference. I guess its a personal preference.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If you have good knees and back the velkie will be ok. I have the Scamper with velkie and used it most of the day Friday and my knees were killing me all weekend. The stander or surfer will be much better on your knees and back if you plan on using it as your main mower over time.

10. K9LWT

K9LWT LawnSite Member

The stander also goes 8.5mph-it's much more stable than a wb with a sulky.