Stander X

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by THG, Apr 18, 2011.

1. THG

THG LawnSite Member

I demoed a 52" Sentar Sport last week and it did not hold hills as well as my 48" Scag Tiger Cat. This Friday I am picking up a Demo Stander X in 52". My dealer says the Stander X will outperform the Tigercat on hills by a longshot so we will see. Do any of you have input on the Stander X ??

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i used it and it performed just like a regular stander which was good

3. THG

THG LawnSite Member

Does a regular stander outperform a Sentar on slopes?

4. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

THG, I have a sentar sport and always thought it was pretty good on hills. But when you demo that X model, let us know what you think about that new deck. I'm hoping that the new deck works good in Springtime conditions.

5. THG

THG LawnSite Member

I will let you know how it works. I am hoping the wider tires provide good traction on slopes. My dealer said the new deck design is a big improvement but I have not used a Wright in the past to know how the old deck performed. The main issue I had with the Sentar is it didnt allow you to lean forward as much as the Stander when standing up on it.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i dont think they were much different as i have mowed with a sentar when we had three of them. very agile machines.

i demoed the stander x and it was a much better cut, but did not get to test in spring growth which would make all the difference in the world.

7. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

My sentar sport has the 8" wheels on it and I put 1" wider tires on it to help with rutting. I dont know if you tried the one with 8" tires or not. Also I very rarely stand up on my mower, usually only to keep the front end from bouncing on really bumpy yards. The old decks are bad with getting a lot of grass buildup under the deck, and they don't disperse the grass very well either so you end up getting clumps of grass all over the yard. So when you use that X model, after awhile stop and check under the deck to see if it is building up. Also make sure it's clean under there before you start. I waiting to see how the new deck performs because Wright is putting that deck on a sitdown version of the Stander X, it will be called a Sport X.

8. THG

THG LawnSite Member

Grassman,
    Do you use a stander today? If so what kind?

9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

the stander x is way better at holding onto hills than the sentar. it has a much lower center of gravity and you can really control your body weight on it

10. THG

THG LawnSite Member

WJC,
    The Sentar I demoed had the smaller tires on it. The distributor said if I were to buy it then they would put the wider tires and add the Donaldson air filter on it. I acutally only demoed the Sentar because at that time they did not have the Stander X for me to try. I will put the new deck through the test and let you know how it goes.