Standers and ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, May 19, 2004.

?

Standers vs. ZTRs, which one is better?

1. Standers

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. ZTRs

37 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, need some input about a couple of things and it will probably cause some controversy. Im looking to buy another mower either a stander or a ZTR. Ive only owned wbs, but have used ztrs(exmark and scag).

1. What are the pros and cons of ZTRs vs. Standers? Which handle hills better? Any one more prone to scalping? More productive? Weight?

2. Who makes the best stander in terms of quality of cut, durability, finding parts, and anything else?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

ZTR_____________________________________

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Ok, 88 views and only one simple reply. Come on guys, either nobody has used a ztr or a stander, or just dont care to respond.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say the facts are that very few actually have both a ZTR and a Stander.

Personally, I'd like to have a ZTR, a stander, a walkbehind and a garden tractor. But I only have 2 outta 4. All in all, in my opinion which one of the two is better really depends on YOU, what YOU are looking for in a mower, and what YOU need in a mower.

The real question is what do you need from your next mower and what does it need to excel at? Answer that and I'll give you my opinion based on what I know.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I should have have said___ Try a stander. Then try a ZTR then get back to us.
    John

Hello Envy!

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never used a stander. But it's not hard to understand the concept. I would buy a stander to compliment the ZTR, but neither of the current models offered meets my needs (44" or smaller deck, floating deck, wide enough tires not to leave ruts in tall grass, good mulching ability, proven reliability and cut quality) Untill they improve what's currently offered I'm not getting one. What good is having a mower that is fast in tight areas if you're spewing clippings into beds or the mulch kit stinks and leaves windrows? What good is having a mower that can't be adjusted quickly to handle different mowing heights (2" to 4" in some areas). And what good is a smaller deck version with wheels so narrow they leave quasi permanent impressions in the turf that look bad from all the ground pressure exerted?

A stander would be great for small areas, tight areas, and hills. The ZTR would outpace it on wide areas, and it uses less energy sitting than standing. Some complain of back problems with standers, some don't like ZTR's for the same reason.

I would never attempt to have just one primary mower if I was in the biz fulltime. Too much variety in lawns out there. It costs you more not to have the right machine for the job in lost productivity, actually, than the cost of just buying what you need to be efficient.

Standers probably turn easier and faster, but there are a lot of variables to consider that make it hard to come up with hard and fast rules. The younger you are, the less likely you'd mind standing vs. sitting I'd guess.

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

I have tried ztrs as stated above (scag and exmark). They are nice, but was just wondering what the pros and cons of both are from experienced people. I love the ztr, but was wondering if a stander would be more practicle. Not everybody that responds needs to have both, just if you have one what do you like about it? Or if you have any useful info on either. I know standers are slower (about 8mph vs roughly 12mph). Also that when you use a stander, you have to watch you dont bump your head on low branches. I was just wondering if standers or ztrs are easier to work on. Which one handles hills better. Which one leaves a better cut. Does one scalp easier? Standers are cheaper for the most part too and obvioulsy more compact. If im going to make an investment like that, I want to make sure Im making the best choice I can. Last thing I want to do is buy a stander or a ztr and wish I had boughten the other.

8. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Thanks for the input brucec32.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey John!

This is the best and only correct advise. DEMO some yourself. There is no other substitute for demo time on some different mowers. This is a big investment and of course you don't want to have buyer's remorse.

Take some of both out and try them on your accounts and in the manner that you do things. Compare and weigh the benefits or lack there of on all of them. That's the only way to find out what's best for you. Both have there respective pros and cons depending on you and your operation.

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The ZTR would outpace it on wide areas, and it uses less energy sitting than standing. Some complain of back problems with standers, some don't like ZTR's for the same reason.

The younger you are, the less likely you'd mind standing vs. sitting I'd guess.

It is comments like these from people who do not have direct experience that often lead people astray.

A Stander or Sentar will run just as fast as most Z's, and they do not use more energy than a Z because of the standing position.

The standing position can actually be more comfortable than the sitting position, and age doesn't come in to play here at all.

Maybe some of you can remember riding your bicycle over bumpy ground and how you would stand up. Your legs absorbed the shock and spared your back. Going over rough ground at a fast speed is hard on the spine, but doing it standing up relieves the stress.

Riding 9MPH on a Stander or Sentar is just like flying on your bicycle standing up. If there is a bump, twist or hillside, you have more ability to take the bump or lean to compensate.

I have a Sentar (and a DC) and find myself standing most all the time I'm on it. Also, standing almost directly over the center of a very short wheelbased machine gives you excellent balance and control.