Standers Only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dutchacres, Oct 2, 2012.

1. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you guys only run standers. I have a range of properties from apartment complexes to factories and I am thinking I am just going to go with all standers. I am almost convinced Scag is the way to go with the 11mph top speed on the 61" units and I am sure I will get a good quality cut at that speed. I also looked at Wright but they are so expensive around here that I could buy one and a half Scags for what one Wright cost.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

I run all standers we use the wright I have 4 of the 52 xs and 2 36 standers fix decks.They all do a good job. The xs do cut a lot better with the new decks . speed is good but I have never been able to cut at full speed no matter what I use. I do have a few relly large yards that I will be getting a couple of sit down z for. All in all I do think stander can be way more productive but large yards they do stand a chance. {by large yards I mean anything over 3 acres } we do one that is over 30 and it is a pain.
  3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I would run only standers, but we need large capacity baggers for fall cleanups.
  4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I had 61 V ride and yes the deck cut great but maneuverability isn't close to the Wright mowers. I traded it after a month. The controls aren't as comfortable either. Just my talking on owning one and the 31 Kawasaki drank fuel close to 2 gph.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

Wright all the way. That's the only mower brand I run. I've got a 52" and 2 36's.
  6. jimjoy12

jimjoy12 LawnSite Member

I run mostly wrights the new deck are the best Ive ever used. They are not the best for clean ups but Thats what the bobcat zs are for I tryed the scags and the just dont compare on hills and turns they left ruts like Ive never seen befor. My 52 x is the best mower I have ever had.
  7. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

I concur the Wright X 52" is the stander to buy!
  8. Wright all the way
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not own a stander at the momment, it all depends on what you are doing but to me the ultimate setup for do it all system on a trailer would be a 36 belt drive WB with a velkie a 52 inch stander compact like the Wright design and then from there a 72 ZTR like a Super Z and you could bust about anything out quick.

A stander is no match at all on mid to large properties compared to a 72 ZTR that can mow fast but on high end properties that are smaller a big Z tears the turf up.
  10. Depends where you live. Best setup here is a 32/36 and a 48/52. We don't have much here that would necessitate anything bigger than a 60".
    Posted via Mobile Device