Standers? why do like or dislike?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Naples, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Naples

Naples LawnSite Member

I retired from the landscape/maint and supply about 12 or 13 years ago after 25 years in the business. WAY BACK WHEN (DON'T LAUGH) we didn't have what you all call "standers" then mainly walk behinds, ground masters etc. I just don't understand why anyone would want to stand up all day. Is there an advantage to this? I live in Naples now, but my brother and I started and ran what is still probably Md.'s biggest lawn & Landscape business for 25 years so I know a little bit and I will tell you this the key to success is DIVERSAFICATION. Confine your self to 1 area you can only grow so big and then you stagnate be willing to branch out and you will always grow. I have seen quite a few references to standers and since no one here in Naples cuts their own grass cept for me and some rednecks like me and the ones who do use these don't speak English I figured I would ask you all.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Like you I never did understand it.

also getting older, my feet hurt offten, all the battle injures, and such.

I only own 1 WB, it doesn't have the wheels to ride on, But it looks like it will be dumped quickly, looking at some of the smaller ztr's.

I'm still mowing, I belove it keeps me young, and in shape, at least in some type of shape.

Serving only 2 towns, I find it difficult to keep up, cant seem to hire GOOD help, I start off at 8.00 an hour and if there good they can make up to 15.00

I feel as if we did it to ourselves, all the younger Generation grew up with video games sitting in the AC all day, take them out on a 90 + day and they start crying,
    no one but us to blame for that.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Sentar Sport 36" with RH and 17HP Kaw is a very nice little mower. It takes up little room in trailer, customers don't mind it since it is small, and we mulch everything with outlet closed. And it is a lot better than walking which we do on all of the other WB mowers....we do small yards.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at my local lesco last week they said the standers are selling good,but in my area itz red and orange if i am going to stand it will be a wb.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The sentar has a seat also......not one you would want to use all day but ok.

6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

It looks like a nice little machine.. If we had a dealer in Manitoba I might have bought a walker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNIZr0NfrLQ