Standing Water

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, May 30, 2001.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I went to mow one of my commercial accounts today to find that one of the big field had water puddles on it. We tried to cut some of it and it just got to messy. What should I do? I can't mow it right now but with all this rain its to hard to work it in. Is there anyway I could make some kind of drainage ditches or something. Thanks

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a trimmer or a small cheap mower your jsut going to have to get dirty or not do it i dont think you cold drain maybe you could i dont know about that i think i saw somthing on tv where they a walkbehind trimmer use as a brush clearer anyone see this?

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I used to mow a field next to a factory that got water standing in the spring or after big rains. I have a Troybuilt 42" sickle bar mower I that I used to use for that when I had to.

4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Just don't mow the puddles, if it has standing water in it, then it's lower than the surrounding ground so if it isn't mown it probably won't show as much ( depends on situation, I know). Either that or fill it with dirt.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Standing water=mud=ruts so IMO a good compromise would be to just mow around the lake and hit it next week when it dries up.