1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stanley Lawn Mowers?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Hometown Lawn Care, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Are these any good? .... I thought they made Hammers and Nails.... lol
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

they are made by Murray - so no they are not good
  3. Hometown Lawn Care

murry bad? hahaha im clueless on these lol
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Strictly once a week homeowner stuff.
  5. Hometown Lawn Care

Well im currently borrowing one and very much to my surprise its cutting like a damn dream, its a 26'' w/b, of coarse its no commercial mower but it cuts better then any damn homeowner lawn mower ive ever used, also ive only had good experiances with my Murry mowers, iv'e been cutting my lawn with a murry mower since i was 8, now im 18 and my dad still uses the same mower and it hasnt had to have been repaired once.... to me thats amazeing.....
  6. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

That often???? lol
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to say, I started with a s/p Murray a long time ago and it cut well and was built like a tank. I sold it to my brother after a season or two because it's only flaw was it wasn't fast enough. But that was only because the pulley on the drive system was too small.

I like the fact that the Stanley is a 26" swath with direct drive, unlike the unwieldy looking brands that wide. And keeping it simple keeps it cheap. Fine if you just need a backyard gate mower from time to time and not a full time mower.

I'm curious what range of cut height it has and if it's got a decent drive system.
  8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

It's not direct drive. It has a less than reliable motion drrive system where a small pin catches on a small gear that drives a larger gear attached to a plastic drive wheel with 3 self -tapping screws right into the plastic. Its not up to even home owner use. I think it's discontinued and the leftovers were liquidated at small engine warehouse.