Star of Bethlehem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdude, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to kill this stuff permanently by means other than glyphosate (Round-up). I know it will be actively growing around here in the next few months and applications of 2,4 D only kill the grass, but will not kill the bulbs too.

I know if untreated 3 mows or so and the stuff dissapears anyway, but it clogs mowers and if you're the poor slob running a line trimmer through it - look out. It gets all over your legs, shirt, glasses, etc and what a slimey mess!!!

Thanks in advance for any input and I definately will award a gold star for your efforts.:D

Bob

2. bullfrog

bullfrog LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

Mow low before it springs up, then when it springs up high, brush it with a rag soaked in roundup on the end of a stick.

Don't think there is a better way to get rid of the root-bulb. :(

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Use ester formulation of 2,4-D in early spring. Retreat if you can each year. Will take several years if you have a dense population.

4. Turfdude

Bullfrog,

There is actually a company who sells a fillable tube w/ a sponge on the bottom. The application tool is shaped like a golf club w/ a 12" or so head so you can "paint" the weeds. I was thinking of this as a last resort, but it is a lot of work when dealing w/ multiple lawns of 10,000 sqft+. This is why I was looking for a pesticide which may be on the market that is labeled for this weed. I know the 2,4d doesn't help that much because the bulbs can produce offshoots (bulbetts) quicker than the 2,4d will control.

5. Turfdude

I just wanted to bring this thread to the top for further review as this nasty weed is already rearing its head. Any good suggestions short of roun-up - please reply.

Thank you.
    Bob

6. Turfdoctor

Turfdoctor LawnSite Member

Speed zone with carfentrazone and 2-4D ester is awesome! i sprayed star of bethlehem with it, but haven't checked on control yet. Its worth a shot!

7. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

How did the Speedzone work on the Star of Bethlehem?

8. Turfdoctor

Turfdoctor LawnSite Member

Speedzone kept them from flowering, but did not eradicate. 2-4D ester + the highest labeled rate of Dicamba seemed to actually kill more of them than speedzone. The dicamba really curled the leaves of the nearby sweetbay magnolia, so be careful with the Dicamba, trees hate it!!!!!!! Good Luck!!!