Staring off the right way.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by briggs1100, Feb 22, 2004.

1. briggs1100

briggs1100 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. I am staring a new lawn service in Gueydan, Louisiana. I decided to start off with one off the best. I bought a Lazer Z HP 52" deck with a 23 HP Kohler engine. It was a demo with only 70 hours on it, so I got it for $5600.00. The list price for a new one is around $7400.00 I believe. I even got the three year warranty with it. I thought this was a pretty good deal, does anyone agree?

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

First off, yes, I'd say you got a pretty good deal there.

Do you already have customers lined up?

3. briggs1100

I got a few so far, but I am sure in time I will have more. This is just something on the side I am doing to make a little extra cash and keep myself busy. I work seven days on and seven days off in the oilfield.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Oh boy, I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means.

5. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Is that mower paid for yet? If no that project will keep you busy for awhile! Damn the overhead in this industry!! Good Luck man!

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

In reality the overhead is low when you think about the amount of money you have to invest to get a return.....what else can 10,000 dollars make you 100k plus?

7. briggs1100

Being that I have a steady income already, and I can afford the notes as it is, I won't be in a bind if I dont start making money right away. Like I said, its just really something to keep me busy on my days off. If it takes me a year, or even two years to pay it off, it will be worth it in the end. But I sould'nt have a problem paying it off before the end of the year, and start making profit.

8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

That eXmark is a very good machine, you will get many profitable hours out that machine. I think you are on the right track. Go legit from the first year and you will have less to worry about. Good luck.

9. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Are you going to get liability ins. workmens comp., charge tax, claim all income on your taxes for all the work you do? I hope so, if not then they will mark you as a scrub on this site!!! Get legit and charge what the local lco's are charging then you will be fine!

10. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

briggs1100 you one of those firefighter mow guys? I am and just figured when you said you did this on your days off, kinda went together. I actually started with a landscaper supply 48 w/b belt drive. Got it new for $2500.00 and added a two wheel sulky. Very low overhead and it has worked out well, I am getting ready to go with an X soon I hope. Good luck to you!!