Start a legit Business or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tbaer, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Tbaer

Tbaer LawnSite Member

I am a college kid and have around 47 lawns that I mow. (I live in minneapolis and go to the U of M so im able to start mowing in the spring and finish in the fall) As of right now i dont have an actual registered business, and i do not pay taxes. I am wondering the legalities of not having a registered business? Will I eventually get in trouble with The IRS? I also work part time in the winter at my school so i can record some income. But I also do use most of the profits from lawn mowing to pay for school.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

PRISON.........

3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad that college education is working out good for you.....

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah you should get setup legitimately at this point, with almost 50 customers. If Uncle Sam were to find out they would not think highly of the situation.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, If your company is that large then its time to get legit.....JMO Out of curisoity, what are you studing in school?

6. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

It doesn't cost a lot to be legit. It is well worth it compared to having the IRS on your back. Do it right the first time so you don't have to go back and do it again.

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

I struggled with the same question myself and came to the conclusion that it's worth the 250.00 or so dollars it is costing me to set up a llc to not have to even think about it any more. good luck with whatever.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this is the type of thinking that is damaging the industry, people think, oh its just lawn care, why would i need to follow the rule and laws, if you where running a resturant or a gas station how would you think

9. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

:cry: And this means he more than likely does not have any insurance ether:nono:

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Simply outrageous and ludicrous to even ask such a question on a public forum.

Nobody likes taxes,the red tape that goes with running a business, but unfortunately we go to jail when we don't pay and follow the rules.