1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

start business or head to college?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pleasantholm lawns, Nov 6, 2006.

1. pleasantholm lawns

pleasantholm lawns LawnSite Member

all right guys i need your help!
    tough decision on my hands.
    im in grade 12 , last year of high school. im very excited to start my own lawncutting business but i dont know weather i should head to college and take a few business and management courses first. what do yas think?
  2. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Start your Business and take courses at Night thats just my opinion
  3. kentuckylawns

kentuckylawns LawnSite Member

go to college, in my opinion it will be a he** of a lot easier to run a successful business if you have the right fundamentals first. Go get a degree, you cant go wrong with a college degree to fall back on.
  4. redtreeinc

redtreeinc LawnSite Member

stay out of the business....it is already inundated with blokes that have no clue how to run a successful business or provide proper customer service.

5. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Don't pass up the chance to go to college. Even tho my business degree has had very little impact on my ability to run a business. What I got out of college was meeting a lot of new people that have been great for networking and as customers. Plus college can also teach you self discipline about how to handle things on your own.
  6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it from me, I'm young, run a very successful business, but many times wish I would have stayed in school.

When I quit school I told myself and everyone else I was taking one semester off (to catch up on work) but I never went back.

I've now got 4 trucks to pay for, mowers out the azz, a skid steer, mini ex, shop rent, house mortgage, health insurance, employees to pay... etc... and can't go back.

I'm not saying I don't like the business (most of the time I do), but if you start the business you will probably have a very hard time doing school and work. I got carried away with the money, and never realized college is more then money, it's about making the money you make a lot easier to get, and helps you make a lot better decisions with investing etc.. not to mention it was almost impossible for me to get a loan up until last year (it took 2 full years of building good solid credit).

One thing I have proved people wrong is you don't need to go to college to make good money. It's just a lot easier to make good money if you do.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

This is excellent advice! I stopped my business 2 years ago to finish a degree and I am almost done with another. My point is that if you need to, you can get the degree and always get back into business later. This industry isn't going to dissapear on you..
  8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

my sig below says my thoughts..

if you go with no school you better know how to run a business ( alot harder then just taking out a 50k loan and buying shiny new equipment) and then u better be a fast learner and excel in the landscaping field at a fast pace
    And make sure your market is big enough so you can reach whatever goals you set for yourself as far as income

some people can be successful without school( dont let anyone tell u otherwise some of the wealthiest people i know never got a degree) but most cant to be honest i would sit in class and get A's in business D's in everything else and those A's would turn into incompletes and F's because i would be doing spring cleanups during midterm time and fall cleanups during finals time and just stopped going

Parents went nuts for a long time til they realized how much money i was making and now they never mention once when am i going back to school.. I wish i started fresh out of HS to be honest

FYI- Running a full time business will take its toll on your social life and everything else so if you cant take that big step than go to school and cut a few lawns a week on the part time to see if you enjoy it
  9. UpNorth

UpNorth LawnSite Member
    from NE,US

Go to college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If after 4 years you want to start your business, do it then. If the biz fails you have college to fall back on.

My business is fine and getting better everyday, but I wish I had the degree!!
  10. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Go to college and do some mowing on the side, noone says you cant do lawn mowing part time while you are in school. If you decide to major in business then you will learn how ot properly run a business. Or if you decide to study horticulture you will be getting extremely valuable information from your classes while you are already growing your business. But I would have to say don't get tempted to stop taking classes if you start making a lot of money, finish the degree and build the business and then when you graduate you will already have a customer base to grow off of.

Just my opinion.