start irrigation class tomorrow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by beachtownlawnservice, Nov 17, 2011.

1. beachtownlawnservice

beachtownlawnservice LawnSite Member

well I'm all signed up and starting my basic irrigation course tomorrow. the class is being taught by Dave McCullough (irrigationclass.com) in Houston tx. I can honestly say i know absolutely nothing about irrigation at all. And i have no intentions or plans on going out trying to bid installs or designs anytime in the near future. i am only taking this class to gain some knowledge on these systems and taking the next step to becoming a better lawn care provider. i have learned a lot from lawnsite and there is some real pro's on here that shared a lot of information and tips that have really helped me along. I am new to the the irrigation forum and hoping to be able to ask some questions now and then to help me through what i have read is one tough course.

Thanks
    mike.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Pay attention, take notes, ask questions and avoid too many donuts.

3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Dave is a good guy, he's been in the industry a long time.

4. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

That reminds me, I gotta renew my license soon. I sure don't want to take the class and test again:laugh:!

5. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sounds like your going about it the right way. You will think you know everything after the class, but you will learn fast there is a lot they do not cover.

Study your local install codes and regs carefully, sub out your first system but be on site the whole time to learn.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I took my class from Dave over eleven years ago when I moved to Texas.
    He and I got along well, teaches with no ego and has a wealth of experience.
    I would suggest, however, that you do not over look acquiring your license.
    Remember, the more diversified your service offering is the more economically stable your business model remains.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, service and backflow will get you through times of no installs. I never got into any other part of the biz, though, (rockwalls, etc.), because I depended on those guys for referrals, and I reciprocated. If you like sprinklers, do them, let the rest do what they do best. I once had a landscape install sub that said, "we do sprinklers, too, but not as good as you."

8. beachtownlawnservice

beachtownlawnservice LawnSite Member

Well that was the most intense 40hrs of my life. I had know idea how hard that class was going to be. especially not knowing anything at all about irrigation to begin with. I tell you one thing dave McCullough is a irrigation genius. I didn't think i was going to make it, But I DID!!! passed the class, got my certificate of completion, looking forward on spending every free moment burying my head in this book. NOT!!!! state test December 13....:hammerhead:

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

That's the best advice you could give yourself if you want to pass on the first try.

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Wish ithey had the test up here. That way I can put my knowledge on paper . Any online test / certs out there ?
    Posted via Mobile Device