Start of a New Project To Liven this Forum

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Venturewest, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

This forum is a little bit dead lately. Here is a before pic of a project I am getting ready to install. We will fill in this converted pool 40,000 gallon koi pond with stable, compacted fill. Build a new pond that is approximately 6000 gallons, 30" at the deepest. The new pond will be a typical EPDM liner pond with 2 skimmers, 2 pumps, (one full time and one on-demand). Pond and waterfall will use boulders ranging from small to 2200 lbs.

There will be a waterfall filter that falls into an 8x8 natural bog area before falling into the main pond.

The remaining areas of the existing pool will become landscaping beds and a flagstone path. I will take photos along the way to help others taking on similar projects.

WrightPondBuild 004.jpg

WrightPondBuild 006.jpg

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

looks like theres a lot of room for improvement.......can't wait to see the durings and afters......i got frost and mud here........like to see something get done...

nate

3. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

That will be interesting !!!! keep us up to date . i am going this week to look at redoing a pond and water fall that a home owner had built and was kind of a flop for her

4. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks very promising. I really can't wait to see what it will look like when your done. Just so many ideas you can just run with.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

cant wait to see

6. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

lots of room to work with.. love to see the progress..

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Looking forward to the progress pics Ron.

8. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

just wondering why such a shallow depth for a koi pond in that area? intrested to see how things go. what are you plans for filtration other then the skimmers?

9. Venturewest

As you can see this was a beautiful pond and backyard. It is amazing what winter, and a little demolition can do.

We have no trouble wintering koi here at 2' depth. These people are actually getting rid of their koi. They are wanting a more decorative pond. They will have a few fancy goldfish.

The bio falls and the natural bog planting area will be the filtration. For the intended fish and plant load there should be no problems.

TaylorPondPlanted1opt.jpg

TaylorPondPlantedopt2.jpg

TaylorPondPlantedopt3.jpg

10. Venturewest

A lot of people would die for a backyard like that. The neat thing is that the homeowners did the whole thing by themselves. There is 12 ton of rock right now in the falls and the 2 islands sticking up. Should be fun getting it all out of the pool.

This pond has some very nice size koi that need to find a new home also.