start of the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bingham Brothers, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

I was wondering how lco's handle the start of a new mowing season. I just bought the service last spring and contacted all clients to introduce myself. This year i have sent a letter 2 weeks ago listing out services and letting our customers know that we would be starting mid-April with mowing weather dependent. Should I call all customers (110) and make sure they will be using our service ( we don't use contracts for residental) or just show up and mow if I don't hear from them. I am sending a letter in mid-march with a list of do's and don'ts and a schedule of which day we will mow.

thanks,
    Jason

2. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would say if you don't hear otherwise after all of your correspondence through letters, assuming you letters have your phone# on them, I would show up and mow on the day you told them you were.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Contract,Contract,Contract to cover you and them explain how it covers them and you should one or the other should choose not to do buisness together and gives a little more leverage in case that they dont pay you have it in writing to take to court or judgment

4. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

Do you have a copy of a contract that has worked well for you?

5. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

I email almost exclusively...I started doing this a couple of years ago...I send out an email to let them know that they are on my schedule and what I am going to do...I have a template that I use and just insert the applications and costs that they can expect...I write to them that I have them scheduled but to please confirm with a reply...most do...the others that do not reply I call them just to make sure that they have not moved or something...I've been in business for 5 years now and it has become a routine to start off the season like this...

Surprisingly...almost all of my clients, even the older clients, like the email notification...for me it is easy, fast and doesn't cost me in stamps...I make email a "feature" of my business...

6. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

Here is one of the emails that I sent out...

Hi XXXXXXX,

Spring is just around the corner and that means that it is time for various applications to your lawn.

I have you scheduled for a visit near the end of February or early March.

For your yard I have scheduled several applications:

1. A pre-emergence (stops Bittercress, Crabgrass and various other noxious weed seed from germinating) and fertilizer (heavy in nitrogen for a good Spring green-up).

2. Lime application, 20lbs per 1000 square feet

Cost will be no more than $100 for the supply pick-up, delivery and application labor. Supplies? We only charge cost for the supplies we use on your lawn and as always we will provide you with a receipt. Last year the cost for supplies that we used on your lawn came to $30.

Let me know if the above sounds alright with you. As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with me at xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com or give me a call at xxx-xxxx.

XXXXXXXXXXXX