Start of the Season?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobwithECLC, Mar 20, 2005.

1. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

So we are in North Central IL and it looks like it might be at least another half week to a full week before we can really get out and start working. When are all of you upper Midwest guys starting to work or are you already working?
    The ground is very wet here and the temps are still in the 40's with chances of rain this week again. It seems like a pretty late start this year for us. Does anyone else think it is a late starting season? :dizzy:

2. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

it seems like mowing season is never going to get here. Either dump more snow on us, or get warm so we can mow!

3. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

I think we are going to start our Liquid Aeration apps late this week and get them done and out of the way. So when things do dry out we can get in and do all of our clean ups and mulching.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

looks like it won't be until the first week of April for us. Heck, we just received 2 to 2 1/2 inches here on Saturday, with maybe another snow storm coming in for Wednesday night.

I thought that today was the first day of spring, where is it at!?

5. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

One week then we will start the maint. crews out there. For landscape probably the same with retaing walls we could of ben doing it for weeks now but i hate to start to early and finish all the work we have lined up and have a break in landscape work. Since the phone has been dead of late. Last year we started full time on March 15th 2004.

Jason

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know what you mean, I was going full force last year on the week of the 22nd of March

7. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

Its Wet and in the 40's here in ohio..

I got my load of mulch comeing some time this week. I'm planing on starting Clean ups and mulch next week, as long as the weather is right. The Phone has been dead. Onec it starts warming up were get busy.. I hope

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have been doing all my mulch and bed edging the last 2 weeks. its alittle wet out there right now.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think we will be doing anything for a couple weeks. Still major frost in the ground, we have had about 10 inches of snow between Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. I'm still working on getting caught up on sleep from plowing for two and a half days straight. No way we're getting any equipment on any properties for awhile. Not without making more work for us.

How much snow did you get Jason? One of my guys live in Delafield and said they got about 4-5 inches Thursday night, but only about an inch Friday/Saturday morning.

We've still got piles 8 feet high in our lots. Supposed to be in the 40"s all week so that may help.

10. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Going on my third week here. I have customers who want me start berfore anybody else and finish the season after everyone else (2nd week of dec.).