start out renovation with sod cutter to remove grass?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by akgarrett62, Jun 5, 2008.

1. akgarrett62

akgarrett62 LawnSite Member

is using a sod cutter to remove all the grass a good idea, or is roundup a better idea to kill the grass?

i was wondering if the sod cutter will remove all of the grass and weed roots...or if you have to use RoundUp to start.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I install beds starting with my soc cutter, a big renovation it may not be practicle to remove the sod. It would remove all the weeds and grass.
    How big of an aera are you doing?

3. akgarrett62

i'm gonna do my entire yard...grass is very thin. we are closing on the house next week, and it's not a huge yard, but it is a good size front and back yard. RoundUp might be easier...just wondering. thanks.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

RU will bring in down quick and with less work in these temps.

5. akgarrett62

if i am going to do a blend of fescue and ky bluegrass, can i mix those myself or can it be purchased all together "as one"?

i plan on doing this mix: (by weight) 90% tall fescue/ 10% fine fescue and ky bluegrass.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are several mixes of this available that are already mixed. As far as the sod cutting, unless you have just some unGodly bad thatch condition, there is no need. I would just slit-seed it.

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

If you use the Roundup approach, few weeds will invade your new turf.... and a sod cutter is not needed. Wait for total kill, then roto the whole thing, and level it. Using a Tupersan (siduron) starter fert will keep the newly disturbed weed seeds at bay.

Sod cutters are a pita.... unless it's a huge machine as used on the sod farms. Rototillers are easy to handle in comparison. The big difference is the two week wait for Roundup to get a good kill. The lawn will look like zoysia during January in Minnesota. Plus, with a sod cutter.... you have a lot of waste to dispose of, not to mention significant top soil loss. Neither is an issue with a Roundup/roto technique. The dead weeds and grass will only add to the health of the soil to boot.

I've done renovations both ways... and won't go back to a sod cutter. They buy you two weeks of not looking at a dead lawn.... the dump fees are expensive, the loss of top soil means more $ and time in soil amendments.... just not worth the two weeks.