1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Start over

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If you all had to start your business over what would you do differently.

I would check more into dealer support and advertise A LOT more

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I'd start my prices higher, rather then gradually raising them to where they are supposed to be! I thought the prices were right....
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd realize that in MN you had to collect sales tax BEFORE I ran my business for 6 years. THAT kinda sucked 10 years ago. Glad I as doing some small small yards back then and not the commercial properties I'm doing now. :eek:
  4. lennonpaul

lennonpaul LawnSite Member

I would of never gotten into the business do to the lack of employees that really want to do this work long term. It seemed like a money maker at first but then more and more money was absorbed by the growth of sloppy employees and lowering of prices to be competitve with small fly by night one man companies. Its good for part time work when your a kid in school but when you grow up the stress to money ratio is not worth it.
    Sorry if I seem negative about the indsustry but I dont think its a good business to be in long term especially if you think others will do your work for you well.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't try to everything to everyone all the time...find your niche (what you're good at) in the industry and stick to just that. And, charge accordingly too btw...
  6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

How do you make your first million? Start with two million.

I'd not do anything different than I did.
  7. TEG

TEG LawnSite Member

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, geevee, you and Norm are the most perfect lawn specimens I've come across in 14 years. Maybe the 2 of you could collaborate on a book i could study.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have bought into a little company called "AOL"

I remember when they had an add in the Wash Post looking for workers n they were paying with "stock options" .... I had friends going there to work while I was cutting grass thinking what a bunch of idiots they were .... working for min wage n "stock options"
  10. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I started my business this spring and I would have spent a little more on my equipment and went with a 16' box truck all pimped out. Now I will wait 2-3 years and get that box truck. Gonna be the first one in town with it and hopefully drown out some of these $10 lawn bastards retiree dicks who are taking my business for $10 a cut just to have something to do with there miserable old ass lives. Go play golf jerkwads, that is what retirement is for. Better yet, move to Florida.