1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

start problem on '99 Explorer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GTLC, Dec 7, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a '99 Ford Explorer XLT w/ 96,000 miles on it. When I start it up in the morning in winter it struggles but finally kicks but then you have to give it alot of gas to keep it from stalling for the next five minutes. And when you are driving it, it runs pretty rough and will stall when you are turning corners, locking up the power steering. We had it sent to an auto repair place but the problem was not fixed. This car is pretty similar to a '99 Ford Ranger. Any sugestions would begreatly appreciated.:)
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out www.explorerforum.com , you should be able to do a search or look for some threads on that problem.
  3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

What engine size do you have? Is the "check engine" light on?
  4. GTLC

well it is a 4.0 liter V6. Yes, the check engine light is on, but has been for the past few months. We have had this problem for at least a year well before the check engine light came on. We took it to a shop and told them about it, and they did alot of maintenance work on it but the problem was not fixed.
  5. xcopterdoc

Have the codes pulled at your local auto parts store. I know Autozone and few others will read the codes for you for free. Write down the codes and post back. If you paid a shop to fix it and they didnt, then I would be back there raising hell. Pull the codes and post back and also post what the shop did to try and correct the problem.
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife has a 2000 Explorer with the 4liter SOHC, not the standard 4 liter. With about 20K it was running really rough right after startup. It was under warranty and Ford fixed it. They replaced the IAC motor (part # FMC CX 1791) and that fixed it. It now has 40K and it is starting to do the same thing. The oil pressure gauge also reads zero until it warms up. <----Scared the @$%* out of me the first time that happened. Thought I forgot the drain plug when I changed the oil the day before.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Funny this was brought up. My wife has a 2000 and she alo has problems with it staying started when she first starts it. But once she lets it warm up, it seems fine.

My '96 F-250 also has problems staying started sometimes. Seems to happen more when it rained the night before, or on real cold mornings. I have to hold my foot on the gas to start, and then keep foot on gas until I put it in gear. After that it's fine, starts no problem the rest of the day.

We'll probably be taking them to the shop soon.
  8. GTLC

I have talked to some people I know who are mechanics and they all have said to clean or replace the IAC. I will probably end up doing that. The car as in the shop for shock work mostly, and we asked the mechanic if he could check it out but I guess that he decided not to. This stalling problem is serious because when it stalls, the power steering locks up and I almost went off of the road. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  9. xcopterdoc

Ok... so with out codes and guessing... Yur lookin at either a bad IAC or a bad DPFE. The IAC can be cleaned but its really a crap shoot if it will work right again or not. The DPFE is a replacement, no cleaning will work. If it has never been tuned up, try that too. Once you replace something, disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and let the computer clear itself. It will run wierd for a while til the ECM relearns the system. Troubleshooting isnt bad IF you have the codes pulled. Makes life much easier.
  10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

D.P.F.E ...?
    what is that